Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lost the spring on the #2 intake valve this morning on the way home from work. I kept thinking all week that I had a bad exhaust leak somewhere, but I think I actually had a partially broken intake valve (it was broken in 2 or 3 places), a $96 tow ride and a teardown confirms that, so it goes. . .

The #2 piston is gone and the rod is bent. The combustion chamber on my TFS head looks like Lou Ferrigno took a hammer to it. My machinist says he can fix that, though. the wrist pin broke through the wall on the #2 cylinder, though, so I need to sleeve it or find another block. Anyone got an extra 289/302/5.0 block laying around?

Robert

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bad luck, Robert. If the Coors Lite girls were mechanics, I'd send 'em over to help you.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Touche' :)

They could just come over and hang out while I'm working on it. And there is a pool on the property, so they could dress accordingly. :D

Robert

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, but getting around isn't quite as convenient as it was. :(

I got resources though, it'll be back up in a week, 2 at the most. ;)

Come check out my new engine at the August VMF poker night. :D

Robert

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Ah crap, that is never good :(.

I am glad you can get it up and running again soon. Can't wait to see the new engine!

If you need a hand just tell me what day to be there and I'll see what I can do.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Robert, what a pisser. I'll let you know if I hear of a block in the near future.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Awww mann!! That Sucks. Its good to know that you be up in a week and from that engine you had before I know your machinist will do good work. You should just go take that engine out of that race car you work on and through in the 66.

see ya at poker night.

·
Premium Member
11,701 Posts
bummers dude... I know the feeling.

The head can be fixed, fer sure. Roberto is running the heads that were on my car when it blew. So you know miracles can be worked.

Good luck getting things back together.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So is your new engine all together yet? I haven't had too much time to spend on the forum lately.

I pulled it from the car today (out the bottom!) and tore it down. It looks like I had a bit of an oiling problem on the cam journal for #4 and #8, besides the toasted #2 piston, so I guess I was due for a teardown. I've wanted to tear it down and check it out anyway. . .

The spring failure pisses me off a bit. I guess there's really no knowing about the parts that come with aftermarket heads. I remember a couple of posters here having problems with the AFR studs breaking. But any spring can fail from what I've heard. Some shops have machines that "run in" the valve springs on race engines to see if there are any bad ones. Bailey Brothers in American Canyon has one, maybe I should talk to Fred (the owner) about getting the new ones tested.

I'm taking everything to the shop tomorrow. I'll post any findings on the main forum, especially anything regarding the TFS valve guide wear myth.

Robert

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the offer Dave. I'll be doing something to it everyday before it's done so let me know if you're in town.

I jacked the whole car up today, removed all the bellhousing/accessory bolts + swaybar, and dropped the engine out the bottom! And no, it was not the most graceful operation, but I succeeded without ruining anything.

I'll give ya a call when I'm putting it back in, it would be nice to have help lining up those bellhousing bolts. Right now the trans is hanging by a stretched rope!

Robert

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The engine in the race car is a 600hp 15:1 compression methanol breathing chebby 350 with a weird 2 speed transmission-you push the cluch in to go, that's first gear, the shift to second, let it out and race! An 8k redline and 7.69:1 gears should get me to work quick! But after I figured out how to get it in my car, I'd have to figure out where to fuel it up!
http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL326/689808/2876817/58294364.jpg

Robert

·
Premium Member
11,701 Posts
In theory, the engine will be assembled by the end of this month.

Don hired a shop manager/machinist who is appalled that my engine has been there since Feb of last year. He said he plans to have it done by the end of this month. We shall see...

I'm trying to line up an engine dyno to tune/break-in on. It will likely have to be up in the Sacto area, since that's where Dan Fodge is, and he's my EFI guy. Again, we shall see...

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Bummer, Robert. I have the 302 that we pulled from Stephanie's '69 if you want it. The thing started making a slight knocking sound when warmed up, so we pulled it and put the engine from Chris's '65 into it. I still haven't torn it down to see what the knock in it was.

It was a strong running engine, and still had a ton of power when we pulled it, although we have no history on the engine at all, as it's the one that was in her car when we bought it. I'll want to pull the heads off of it if you want the block, as I have a plan for them (and I'm sure you don't want them).

I wouldn't mind getting this block out of my garage. Oh, and if you want to borrow my cherry picker, you can do that as well.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I have a truck that is availible on weekends only. If you need to move the motor, chery picker etc...I too have a cherry picker and engine stand.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
...Don hired a shop manager/machinist who is appalled that my engine has been there since Feb of last year......
Yea....I'd say 18 months was appalling. ::

Kudos for your patience. I'd have been looking elsewhere for my engine work some time ago. ;)

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You are the coolest. I think I want it! Is it a 1 or 2 piece rear seal? I'll help ya clean the garage out. . .

My block is toast. It would need 2 sleeves to be repaired, and a re-bore because pressing the sleeves in throws the adjacent cylinders out of round. So after that I'd need a new set of pistons to fit. Not worth the cost. . .

I'm thinking about building a 331 rotating assembly. . . :)

Robert

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well that's some serious hospitality! You've seen what my car looks like and you'd loan me your truck? :: Thanks for the offer but I'm already driving a loaner! :D It's a 1979 Chevy Silverado, 6 cyl with a 3 on the tree! It's a farm truck that's seen better days, the exterior is beat up but it has power brakes, power steering, and handles like a Cadillac! :D If you saw it the theme from Sanford & Son would come to mind. :D I think I need to get one of my own, then I'd have a very fast car and very slow truck.

I think I need to organize an install BBQ. If I BBQ up some juicy steaks, I bet you, John, and Dave would put the new engine in and fire it up for me. ::

Thanks,
Robert

·
Registered
742 Posts
You haven't seem my truck :)...Its a 93 ford ranger that I bought for Home Depot, dump runs, and of couse hauling engines, trannys etc...It runs great, but has no AC (average temp this week 101 degrees) ::

Make sure you register for Johnpro's Automotive...Fall Classes are filling up fast!!! ::

1 - 19 of 19 Posts