Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 428CJ block that is std. bore. It has no ridges/grooves. Cylinder walls are in good shape except for a "dusting of rust..no pitting. I was hoping to keep it std. with a cleanup honing..but the machine shop I took it to wants to do a .010 over torque plate hone. If I bore, here are my options:
1.) .010 over pistons..only available would be custom made and would cost $700+
2.) .020 over..only I have found are fed.-mogal and kb-silvolite..both only avail. in cast...no forged pistons available in this size...cost $215+
3.) .030 over. Many choices available..forged, etc...cost would be around $300 I think.
What would be the pluses and the minuses of each? What would you do?
Would the engine/car be more valuable with a bore as close to std. as possible? I don't plan on racing it..maybe once in a great while..mostly street driving.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If your not going to race it then forged pistons aren't all that necessary. The first thing I'd try is another shop to see if they would hone or bore-assuming you have to bore go, with the .020 over and the cast pistons so if you ever have to do it again you can go to .030-you never know how long the block is going to be around???

Raven Black 66 Fastback GT, 289 A Code, PS, C-4, AC
Pony w/Rally-Pack, TTD's
Cool Huh?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I agree with Scott. A standard bore CJ block is a rare animal these days. has the machine shop told you how much bore taper there is??? that has a lot to do on whether or not you bore or just rehone.. the .030 over pistons are cheaper as they are the standard rebore size in the industry, but if it needs to be rebored due to excessive bore taper, I would pop for the .010 over pistons - and shop around - I think you can do a little better than 700 for a set....

randy

http://www.bossman-motorsports.com/bossbanner2.gif
http://www.bossman-motorsports.com

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I was really hoping to keep it std. since I spent good money on it. Maybe I'll just tell the shop to try and rehone it first without doing a .010 over bore. He thought it would clean up good at .010 that's why he suggested it. He also thought it may need a .010 since a torque plate is being used. What are some companies I should look at for custom pistons? Any ideas on price? Also if you have any contact info for the companies please post it also.
Also, he didn't tell me the bore taper...it hasn't been checked yet. He told me if everything checked out good with bore taper he thought boring it .010 would be enough. He never suggested a clean up stock bore rehone.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have the machine shop do a sonic map of the block to determine the maximum overbore that it can safely handle. This way you can determine if you go the 30 over route how many more rebuilds you will be able to get out of it.

Greg B

1 - 6 of 6 Posts