Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently came onto a motor that I thought was a 66 289engine. I for sure has the 66 289 heads on it, and had a 66 code intake. However, the other day, I pulled the intake off, and there in the lifter galley were the words:
Hecho en Mexico.
Is this a 302 Mexican block, or what? Can someone help me with this? I have not had the pan off to see if the motor has the larger main journal caps, or had it in a position where I can even look at the numbers near the starter pad. Was just wondering what that Hecho en Mexico might mean!
Thanks in advance!
Don K

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Sure sounds like a mexican block.....IIRC one of the ways that you can tell a mexican block is that they have two large round " " (for lack of a better and more PC word, sorry) cast into the block on the outer front near where the heads sit....Also, those blocks are considered to be stronger than regular blocks, but I forget the reason(s)......HTH - Dickson

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Hecho en Mexico = made in Mexico

·
Vendor
5,306 Posts

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Highly desireable block. I just picked one up for my stroker project. This is what it looks like without all the stuff in the way. The "knobs" are a dead giveaway. And check out the main caps.

http://a3.cpimg.com/image/AF/1E/10635183-361d-020001FC-.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts