Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Block question

611 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Guest 
#1 ·
I recently came onto a motor that I thought was a 66 289engine. I for sure has the 66 289 heads on it, and had a 66 code intake. However, the other day, I pulled the intake off, and there in the lifter galley were the words:
Hecho en Mexico.
Is this a 302 Mexican block, or what? Can someone help me with this? I have not had the pan off to see if the motor has the larger main journal caps, or had it in a position where I can even look at the numbers near the starter pad. Was just wondering what that Hecho en Mexico might mean!
Thanks in advance!
Don K

#2 ·
Sure sounds like a mexican block.....IIRC one of the ways that you can tell a mexican block is that they have two large round " " (for lack of a better and more PC word, sorry) cast into the block on the outer front near where the heads sit....Also, those blocks are considered to be stronger than regular blocks, but I forget the reason(s)......HTH - Dickson

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.