Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dufus award for the day. Don't worry, no pictures yet :)

I was in the garage polishing stainless steel. My car comes home in two days fully painted and ready for me to install all the chrome/stainless.

I was polishing the GT exhaust trim rings for the rear valance. Feeling pretty good about the whole project....them FLING, there goes the trim ring. I was polishing the inner surfaces (not the back side, just the more recessed), and the opposite side of the ring caught the wheel. It spun one revolution, then flung to the floor. At that moment I was worried about distorting the ring, worse yet, gouging the ring. Quick inspection and it looked no worse for the wear, quick relief..

Then, I noting a cut on the pad of my left hand. Maybe three inches in length. Only the first inch (over the thick part of my palm) was slightly bleeding. Then more. And more. A real sight. After the obligatory rinse in the bathroom, I resigned myself stitches were in order.

5 stitches later, my hand is sewn up. No real damage after the wound heals. I had safety glasses on, and was up to date on Tetanus, but NO gloves. I learned my lesson here. Leather gloves from now on. I'm a believer.

And for those who really want to see what can happen when doing a simple polishing job WITHOUT full protection, stitches

I am thankful the trajectory didn't include any other my critical regions (neck, face, big veins/artery's etc...)

I've learned my lesson.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Re: Blood sweat and tears.

I also do sword/bladesmithing as a hobby, and as part of my learning experiences with the combined tools of both trades over the years, I've come to realize that the buffing wheel IS THE ABSOLUTE MOST dangerous tool in the shop. Bar none. This realization came to me as a 17" blade length Japanese style short sword (wakizashi) flew past my face at mach 3 shortly after I began burnishing the spine with the buffer (the remainder of the blade is hand polished). Yes...it was folded, yes...it was razor sharp (picture your scariest kitchen knife on steroids), and yes...it took two days to find in the attic =/.

Anyhow, good luck with polishing the remainder of your trim! And remember, the car's not really yours until you bleed profusely all over some insignificant little part of it lol.

Cris

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Henry, wow thats bad. BTW I hate to wear gloves and have the scars to prove it. I am however learning and try to keep a few pairs handy so I have fewer excuses no to wear them. I hope it mends up well.

John

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
Not sure what your wheel looks like, but there are some tools where you should NOT wear gloves (lathe, etc).. I was also told never to wear gloves at a grinding station.

·
Registered
56 Posts
+1 for JohnnyK. I was going to say this myself. Grinders and gloves do not mix as well as loose clothing. I would rather loose a finger than my whole hand because my glove got wrapped up in the grinding wheel.

·
Registered
9,648 Posts
I wear gloves for nearly everything I do, I have enough scars from the last 39 years - don't feel I need any more.

I used to have a very simple mantra - If I bleed on it, it will be fine - if not, then something was done wrong.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
daisy0504 said:
+1 for JohnnyK. I was going to say this myself. Grinders and gloves do not mix as well as loose clothing. I would rather loose a finger than my whole hand because my glove got wrapped up in the grinding wheel.
Agreed.. I've been getting more paranoid around the lathe these days, as well.. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts