Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a strange thing happen yesterday. I was making a sales call to one of my industrial customers and in drives the MAC tool truck. I followed one of the mill wrights into the tool truck just to look around and remembered that I need a 7/16" and a 3/8" combo wrench so I picked up one of each. The MAC man rung them up and said "That will be $55.32." "You gotta be kidding!" say I. "But sir, those ARE MAC tools."he said. I told him, "Since they are so precious YOU better keep them, and I'll just run to the old parts store."

Friends, I was totally blown away. What brand of tool do ya'll buy and what do you pay for those same wrenches?

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
I liked your response. :) Craftsman for the most part, with some genric stuff as well. but I'm just an occassional weekend mechanic and home repair type.

John Harvey

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Craftsman here for the most part, but I do have some cheapie wrenches too, that I have had for years and work just fine.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I've had (and abused) Craftsman hand tools for about 30 years now. For a backyard mechanic I don't think you can beat them for the price, not to mention the guarantee.

Lou

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
i use craftsman also, i know mac,snap-on,blackhawk,proto, tools are good but i'm not paying that kind of money for them,..... yeah a got alot of cheap stuff also that works just fine......

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
The difference in price is directly related to quality, but there's more to it than that. Mac, Snap-On and Matco, all excellent ultimate-quality tools, are marketed for the professional mechanic, by dealers in trucks who come to you. That means you don't have to chase around looking for that weird tool you need for that special job. Also, there is a difference in the ergonomics and durability of the tools. If you use tools all day, every day, the difference in price is worth it in terms of return on investment. And there's the pride-of-ownership issue too -

I use what I have - lot's of it is Craftsman, and I have worked them very hard indeed in the 40+ years I've been using them. Have I worn out or broken any Craftsman tools? Yup. Snap-On ? Yup... Just not near as often, and I do LOVE my Snap-On tools, especially the roll-away tool cabs..

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Craftsman are my first choice,but I will buy any of the quality tools SK,Proto,Blackhawk,Thorsen when needed, and the odd MAC when they are the only choice.Snap-On is never considered. I still have my first Craftsman tools 30+ yrs.I would have to say they serve me quite well

·
Registered
422 Posts
Ya, Craftsman is my first choice, and whats mostly in my tool boxes. As I am restoring my 66, I am finding that I need more tools as I go, and actually my last few tool purshases have been from Autozone, I forget the nane brand, but they were decent quality and cheap, and I got my car parts and tools I needed all in one trip.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Back in the old days, (1960s, 70s, & 80s!) when I used to earn my living at what is now a hobby I used MAC & SK. I had a few Snap-On tools for special needs. The SKs were the best. Of course, like Grandpa says "Things were cheaper then." - Then again so were wages.

·
4,128 Posts
Yep I also prefer Craftsman. But I have found that buying individual tools can still be expensive, buying the "sets" can be a little more cost effective. But talk about being blown away http://www.plauder-smilies.de/fart.gif Peee Uuuu fd

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Unless it is a special tool I prowl the pawn shops. A few years back I was miles from home and needed
a specific wrench...7/16 open end. Hit the pawn shop and found what I needed in craftsman..
Also spotted a couple of 1/4 extensions, 1/4 deepwall socket, small vice-grips and one of those tools for
removing late model Ford fuel lines. I was pleased when the guy said....$3.00!!!
Had my choice of Craftsman, SK, Mac, Thorsen or crap.
Since then I have spent very little and gotten everthing I need.
Bruce (TX)
Charter member.."We Tight Club of America"

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
For the most part, I use Craftsman. I still have some of the Snap-On stuff I got when I was doing it for a living and wish I could afford to have all Snap-On.

You can't appreciate the difference until you have used tools like Snap-On. I have busted my knuckles using Craftsman so many times that I can't begin to count the scars. In the years I worked professionally with Snap-On tools I never had one slip on me; not even once.

All of the better tools carry the same guarantee, so the additional cost measured across the lifteime of the tool is minimal. Particularly when you figure in the fact that you will probably hand down your tools to some member of your family.

I figure that when it comes to tools you should always buy the best you can afford. They pay for themselves eventually.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I would go for snap-on as my first choice................

I do have more craftsman than anything else...( I like using professional series craftsman tools)

Snap-on you definitely get what you pay for.....

Mac tools...I don't know

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I started my mechanical career with craftsman. They just didn't hold up and every time I would go to warranty them Sears would be out of the most common ones. Fast forward 20 years I have all Snap-on, Mac, and Matco. Now hold on to your shorts!!!!!!!! I just finished the inventory for the insurance company as home owners will not cover the replacement and this has taken about four months as there are 4 huge tool boxes in two locations. Well by todays prices I currently have in excess of $200k in tools. These are worth more than my house and cost more to insure. I have owned two repair shops and there are more than one of most tools. SWMBO says sell them and go on a nice vacation. I told herthat I still make a good amount of money doing side work at home and would never sell even a wrench. I wish they would all fit in my garage as it is an awsome sight to see them all lined up together against the same wall.

·
Beach Bum
5,694 Posts
Mostly Craftsman, some Mac, & 1 set of SK. I even still have my first tool box which is a Craftsman from 25 years ago.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts