Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought the car at the dragway last Saturday.
Did seven runs. Tranny did not leak then.

The tranny was leaking really bad today.
Saw a puddle of tranny fluid under the car.
I was 20 minutes from home so I drove the car anyway.
When the car reaches 55 mph, car started to shake.
I have to pull over to see what is going on.
Everything seems fine under the car and front wheels.
I drove it slow at 30 mph and hoping car will reach home.
Got home and checked the tranny fluid level.
It was very low. Below the ADD label.

Did I blow the tranny or is it just the seal?
The leak seems to be coming from the bell housing.
The under carriage near the tranny are full of oil.
The exhaust pipe are all blacken with oil too.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Sounds like a front seal, but the cars used in some of the races use heavy oils in the trannys to help them stay cooler, I do not know much about doing this but do know they use the heavy oils in the hit to pass and demo derbies.Slow speeds and lots of ramming.
The oil from the bell houseing is most likely the front seal. IU doubt you hurt it much, as long as they will still move it is getting oil.If the level goes to far below the add say off the stick then you might hurt the discs. If it is about 1/2 in. below the add, put in 1/2 quart and see how it works, itwill act funny until the air is out and the oil is moving around properly again but it most likely will work fine.
You can also small the oil and if it smells burnt then it may have some burnt disc..
Don

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Sounds like a front seal, but the cars used in some of the races use heavy oils in the trannys to help them stay cooler, I do not know much about doing this but do know they use the heavy oils in the hit to pass and demo derbies.Slow speeds and lots of ramming.
The oil from the bell houseing is most likely the front seal. IU doubt you hurt it much, as long as they will still move it is getting oil.If the level goes to far below the add say off the stick then you might hurt the discs. If it is about 1/2 in. below the add, put in 1/2 quart and see how it works, itwill act funny until the air is out and the oil is moving around properly again but it most likely will work fine.
You can also smell the oil and if it smells burnt then it may have some burnt disc..
Don

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
The fact that the car got you home leads me to believe you have either a bad front seal, or a pump which has come loose (had that one happen to the race car at the track, with results similar to yours).

I don't think the trans is broken if it functioned OK to get you home, without slippage....the shuddering you noted does have me wondering though..

Does the fluid appear to be clean, bright and not smell burnt?

Get back to us....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts