Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, Blu has finally left on its trip to Dave at DVS and should arrive on Tuesday or Wednesday. It was really surprising to see the damage so clearly in the light. Since the accident, which happened at night, it’s been in the “basement” garage at our apartment and hasn’t seen the light of day for the most part.
Now I wait for Dave’s first hand assessment.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c379/blu67/474036071605_0_ALB.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c379/blu67/987136071605_0_ALB.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c379/blu67/516726071605_0_ALB.jpg

·
VMF Full-Timer
3,823 Posts
Damn , everything looks worse in the light of day.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tell me about it....... :(

·
VMF Full-Timer
3,823 Posts
Chris, I'm having a brain fart, what happened?If it is any consolation (and I know it's not), the whole rear on mine was re-arrainged by accident, looked like a complete and total loss(to me), but lo and behold, she still kicken'. Everything can be fixed. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Dave can fix that, she'll be back in Sunny CA in no time. Keep your chin up!

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,687 Posts
What happened to the plan to dismantle the car prior to shipping?

·
Administrator
19,530 Posts
I'm so very glad that things finally worked out, but oh, those pictures still make me cry.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[quote='70 StangMan]Chris, I'm having a brain fart, what happened?[/quote]
Well, a year ago, after a work Christmas party I was driving home, sober mind you and a car cut in front of me. It was then that traffic stopped ahead and he slammed on his brakes. I swerved to the right to miss him and was heading towards a retaining wall. When I steered to the left to miss the wall, I over-corrected and made it through a couple of lanes of traffic (I was probably going 45 to 50 mph) and hit the center divider of the freeway and spun around to hit the rear and come to a stop. Horrific. My daily driver at the time.
Since she saved my life I should try to keep her around as well.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
fast68back said:
Dave can fix that, she'll be back in Sunny CA in no time. Keep your chin up!
Dave will probably just buff it out. :p :bs:

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JeffTepper said:
What happened to the plan to dismantle the car prior to shipping?
Jim and I did hope to find a shop that had the space and tools to dismantle what we could before shipping but every shop seemed to be busy. We did have a VMFer come through with use of his shop but I was uncomfortable with the fact that there would be total strangers using his tools and didn't feel that I wanted to be responsible for any loss. Jim was looking for a professional shop that he had done business with when the county came byu and told me that the storage of a nonop car in our apartment building was a zoning violation. It had to go ASAP or it was going to be towed and crushed.
I stripped the interior (I know, big whoop) but I can't store anything more here. Since much of the engine will not be re-used, Dave will be able to keep some or I will arrange for it to go to the recycler or something.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Laurie_S said:
I'm so very glad that things finally worked out, but oh, those pictures still make me cry.
I know. It's a pretty harsh scene. :(

·
VMF Full-Timer
3,823 Posts
Ah, it is all coming back to me now.Just as the Phoenix, she will rise from the ashes. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
570 Posts
I'm sure Dave can good care of your baby! I live in the same town as Dave and stop by and see him from time to time! He has a couple of sweet rides in there right now! Good Luck on Your repairs! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gene_J said:
Wow! It looks worse than you described it!
No kidding, Gene. It's been kind of cramped in my garage since the accident, so I've forgotten how bad it really was. I'm holding out hope that Dave can work a miracle.

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
I'm sure Dave will enjoy working on a rust free
car. Just think if your car had the midwest rust
like we have the damage would be much worse!

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm from California as is my car....maybe it just needs a nose-job to fit in again. :p

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I've been to Dave's shop and offered to help disassemble and possible reassemble if need be. Keep me posted if Dave will need any help. I'm an hour drive from his shop.
I'm glad to see it's on it's way.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I'm glad to see the car finally on it's way to getting a chance of being back on the road. Since the doors look like they line up good and the roof isn't buckled it looks like it's definitely rebuildable.

While there is a lot of damage, most of it is bolt on parts in the front. The inner fenders, shock towers, and frame rails will be the toughest in the front but once they are replaced then it will be in the home stretch.

Maybe you or Dave could post some pics every now and then so we can see how it's coming along. I'm curious to see how bad it looks with all the bolt on parts removed. If I wasn't so far away in CT I'd give you a hand too with it.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Jay_H_237 said:
Maybe you or Dave could post some pics every now and then so we can see how it's coming along.
That is the eventual plan. It was actually Dave's idea. Along with some sort of photo or blog diary, Mustang Monthly will likely follow it occasionally as a item in Pony Tales.
Stay Tuned.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts