Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we have been catagorized in a recent post as toads
The scariest part of all of that is that those toads are paid the same (or more) per hour as a professionals (Engineer, etc). I find a large # of construction workers have disrespect for property, period. Including their own.
I am curious...how many toads (hourly wage earners, blue collar workers, etc.) do we have on the forum?

I'm one....Courier for Fedex for 19 years now...

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Unfortunately I see both sides of the story. This TOAD (truck-driver) lives in California where (in myown personal experience), a good (visible)number of these toads deserve the moniker. However, like any other career, these jerks are everywhere, and are the ones remembered. One hardly remembers the nice guy. I don't think it was meant to be personal. How often do we say we're "gonna kill" someone and really mean it? (never i hope!)

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I've lived on both sides of the fence.

Union Boilermaker (1979-85)
Engineer/Management/Sales (1989-present)

I would say that there are toads on both sides of the fence. The white collar doesn't make a bad person any better.

I will say, however, there are far more snakes in the white collar world...

Let the flames begin! ::

Frank

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Well... I'm in Management, but lately I've been rolling up the sleeves and helping out back as much as possible and whenever needed! I guess I'm half of a Toad! :p

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Charles, I don't think that having a cushy job driving a Fedex truck would classify you as a "toad" construction worker. :: ;) j/k j/k

I believe the previous poster has realized the err of his ways. ::

BTW although I'm not an hourly paid toad, we are a commercial roofing contractor installing roofs on buildings from 100 square feet up to 120,00 square feet and yes I have been up there with the guys on numerous occasions helping out.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Being a blue collar guy myself, I`ve been called worse. I used to work as a union laborer(Water&sewer mainline) and by far the snakes live closer to the top in that field of work.
I now work for the county water dept. here locally, just as bad, just more politics.In general,(in my eyes and experience)Mgmt sees blue collar workers as always complaining about "not making enough money",
Before I get slammed for my comments, I was a store manager for a national auto parts chain so I`ve been on both sides of the fence.
I don`t mean to ruffle feathers, just my .02 on the topic.

John

·
Registered
762 Posts
Been toad and toad-master....worked my way up from blue collar apprentice to Senior Executive in Federal government (now retired). Folks I hang with post-retirement ?
Toads one and all...

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A store manager for a national auto parts chain? How horrible.... ::
I've had a retail management job...so I feel your pain. :: And I have done construction work also...gave it up for my cushy courier job. ::
You guys don't get me wrong...I have nothing against white collar jobs...they have their own problems to deal with...I just know the majority of the people here are white collar, just curious how much the blue collar is worn in our ranks.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
being an hourly earner as an Anderson mechendiser sale rep i find that that is never true but it's not so bad for me. If i wanted to go full time i get a salary and commestion. I'm going to school but I like my current job and the people i work with so i don't mind being part time(plus i don't have half the work as a full time rep would so that makes it more fun)

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Count me in as one of them toads, Charles :p..Electrician

Joe

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
I believe the "toads" we are talking about in this discussion are the guys parking the trucks too close. And the "large # of construction workers ..." are through the posters own experience and does not necessarily apply to 90% of the construction workers worldwide.

Now FedEx couriers are a whole different breed all together :p

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,187 Posts
Ribbit, or is that frogs?
Actually I identified with the earlier post having worked on various construction crews in a variety of positions. One company was easily 50/50. Half were guys who took great care of their tools and vehicles and then the others who would happily run over a brand new shovel so as to have an excuse why the hole didn't get dug.
While foreman, I refused to accept a new work truck unless I was given the only keys to it and exclusive use of it. This was happily granted and I was made personally responsible for the truck. I took good care of it and treated it as mine. I have the same respect for other's vehicles.
A contrast is the guy that only made it 20 yards from the shop with a 3 ton truck before he ran completely over (and I mean OVER) an employee's new Cadillac in the neighboring parking lot. An "accident" that was directly attributed to pure carelessness and stupidity on his part. "You just can't get good help anymore". ::

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are you saying I'm not a toad? What breed would I be Jay?
Can't be a turtle...move too fast. Hmmm, maybe a snake...no...no arms..can't carry packages....maybe a salamander...no, not sure how to spell salamander...
Some sort of lizard...yep...I could be a lizard, they move fast, they have arms, they are slimy and reptilian...sounds like me!
:: :: ::
I AM THE LIZZARD KING! I CAN DO ANYTHING!

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I'm a little curious as to how a Fed Ex courier and a construction working are related. Steve didn't call everyone that gets paid by the hour a toad. He called the construction guys that drive ratty, beat up trucks and run them into classic Mustangs toads.

I think you guys took him a little out of context, and way too seriously.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, I made the generalization from construction worker to hourly...based on the tone of the comment and the fact that he generalized the second group as professionals.
I've been a construction worker...so that's where I directly relate to the statement.

I do disagree with this statement...
He called the construction guys that drive ratty, beat up trucks and run them into classic Mustangs toads.
No, I beg to differ...he didn't
The scariest part of all of that is that those toads are paid the same (or more) per hour as a professionals (Engineer, etc). I find a large # of construction workers have disrespect for property, period. Including their own.
The comment above directly says the following...
those toads (paid hourly construction workers) are paid the same as professionals...which is scarier than the fact that they park work trucks in proximity to classic mustangs.
He refers to "engineers" as "professionals" and "construction workers as "toads"....quite an unfair generalization. And no, I don't see that he is only speaking of people who park their cars close to mustangs...he generalizes in his next statement about the group as a whole "a large # of construction workers have disrespect for property, period" now...that's quite an unfair generalization of construction workers. I have know quite a few construction workers and never found this generally true.

Now...you may argue that he MEANT to say something different, and yes, he may have, I have no way to judge his intent apart from his words.

I took him in his context...and his statement is a seriously offensive one. But as for taking it too seriously, I wouldn't be kidding around so much if I was really pissed...I would have ranted or attacked him. I just posted to find out who here is blue collar and to show that we have different kinds of people here, and we should think a little before we speak, and show some respect for those who are different.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
your signature picture is offensive to all green pimps everwhere!
Homage to Don the Magic Juan 2003 King of the Pimps could not possibly be offensive. And you gave no props to green collared workers AND took shots at "management" ... sheez.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Who's got the green suit slick and a sex machine to all the chicks?
JAY
You damn right.
Who is the man that posts his pics like a brotherman?
JAY
Can you dig it?
They say this cat Jay's a bad mother...
WATCH YOUR MOUTH
But I'm talkin bout Jay.
Then we can dig it!
He's a complicated man, but noone understands him but Richelieu..
Damn Jay ::

1 - 20 of 28 Posts