Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,836 Posts
I used green LEDs and left my blue filters in for a little touch of aqua but the green overpowers it a bit. I initially wished they were dimmable but I got used to the crisp clean look quickly. 66 if it matters haha !

Attachments

Reactions: Capt Kent

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I got the LED cluster kit from hi po parts that are dimmable. These are white, and got new blue light diffusers and love them!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
4,815 Posts
With incandescent bulbs, leave the blue domes in to keep the slightly yellow look away. If your going LED, you can take them off unless you want the blue tinting.

I changed mine to Red, but used white LED's and installed red domes for the color change. I found the red LED's ran a bit hotter than the white, and part of switching to LED along with the brighter light, was to reduce the heat.

My clock is using RED LED's and when set to the bright setting, it does produce a "redder" color.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With incandescent bulbs, leave the blue domes in to keep the slightly yellow look away. If your going LED, you can take them off unless you want the blue tinting.

I changed mine to Red, but used white LED's and installed red domes for the color change. I found the red LED's ran a bit hotter than the white, and part of switching to LED along with the brighter light, was to reduce the heat.

My clock is using RED LED's and when set to the bright setting, it does produce a "redder" color.
Does your clock have any domes in it (I think mine has green domes, at least it looks green with just regular bulbs)?

Allen

·
Radar
7,051 Posts
My NuVintage USA instruments came white with no provision for lenses. Yuck. The various red bulbs from the local auto parts stores were all weak as puppy piss, so I ordered and tried some Putco "Mega Red" halogen bulbs (not cheap). They dim but I dialed up full brightness for the pic. My console switches and stereo display are red as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
I leave the blue domes on for a more natural color and so they don’t get too bright. I love mine except for the high beam which is too bright.

When the tach is in. It looks perfect

·
Registered
7,523 Posts
I got the white led's and left the stock color cups in place. I really like the color. I also converted the rest of the inside lights to white super bright led's. The instrument panel came out almost like a neon blue at night. The high beam light is a bit bright but I can live with it.

·
Premium Member
6,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All of the pictures on this thread look GREAT. I have already purchased the blues (red for high beam and green for the turn signals) so I will play with them. I have them in with the old blue caps and I didn't get the brightness I, for some reason, expected. I have new blue caps so I will remove the old, try them and also try them with a new lens.

To be honest, I like the green lights in the pictures the best but I'm splitting hairs.

Allen

·
Premium Member
7,836 Posts
All of the pictures on this thread look GREAT. I have already purchased the blues (red for high beam and green for the turn signals) so I will play with them. I have them in with the old blue caps and I didn't get the brightness I, for some reason, expected. I have new blue caps so I will remove the old, try them and also try them with a new lens.

To be honest, I like the green lights in the pictures the best but I'm splitting hairs.

Allen
Allen where did you get your LEDs? When I wanted them for my 66, I got the kit for a 67 because it had an extra bulb or two for the same price, so I had enough for my Rally Pac.

We plan to remove the blue lenses in the Emberglo car and install white or amber LEDs . My son just thinks that will look a lot better in the Emberglo/Parchment Deluxe interior if we ever drive the car at night.
The boy is smart.

·
Premium Member
6,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Allen where did you get your LEDs? When I wanted them for my 66, I got the kit for a 67 because it had an extra bulb or two for the same price, so I had enough for my Rally Pac.

We plan to remove the blue lenses in the Emberglo car and install white or amber LEDs . My son just thinks that will look a lot better in the Emberglo/Parchment Deluxe interior if we ever drive the car at night.
The boy is smart.
I bought them At McGough Auto Parts (they keep Mustang parts in stock) over close to Greenville, Alabama (small town named Honoraville). He had them in stock and I needed some lights so decided to try them. These have a Scott Drake part number SD-6970-GA-BL. Whenever I'm close I usually have my list with me and drop in to see them (about 30 minutes from Troy).

Allen

·
Premium Member
7,836 Posts
SWEET ! !
I may hafta drop in there sometime.
I think mine had an MP (Mustang Project) part number when I got them years ago and I see they are available on Amazon for $29.95 now.

·
Registered
221 Posts
1966 convertible, nightmist blue, with parchment with blue appointments, went with the new blue cups and white LEDs as watto1 did, the blue is not overpowering and does not look like fluorescent lighting, a nice glow.

·
Premium Member
7,836 Posts
1966 convertible, nightmist blue, with parchment with blue appointments, went with the new blue cups and white LEDs as watto1 did, the blue is not overpowering and does not look like fluorescent lighting, a nice glow.
I just got a Nighmist coupe. Can you post a couple of pics of your car and include one of the interior/instrument cluster for my son? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,836 Posts
1 - 20 of 56 Posts