Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just how concerned should I be!! At idle there is no visable smoke but when I rev it a little I am getting the light blue smoke out of the exhaust! I am hoping I just need time for the rings to seat. Engine has only run about 20minutes total so far. Engine was rebuilt by me, I used the same pistons, and had the bores honed at a machine shop as he said they did not need reboring. Engine was already at 30 over so it has been rebored at sometime in its life. Anyway, all new bearings, rings etc (yes they were 30 over and mic'd in spec. Heads were done at reputable machine shop. Smoke seems fairly uniform between the sides.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Did you have the valve guides and seals replaced?

if not then get it done.....

If everything was done, then your rings need time to seat and
establish a good seal......a fresh hone job will allow SOME oil to get by this is because of the diamond cut grooves established by the honing process......

Just keep an eye on your temp guage and oil dipstick level.

regards
Roberto

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
You said that the car has only run a total of 20 minutes. Assuming it is a new cam and lifters, did you do a proper cam break-in?

I agree with the others, rings take a few hours to seat. If you rebuilt the bottom end and not the heads, all the newfound compression with tired valve components could be the part of the problem.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Try retorquing the intake.Oil can be pulled past the gaskets by vacuum.Were the heads or manifold shaved?Sometimes this can cause some real headaches with intake gaskets.Let us know as things progress....

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
do you have aftermarket valve covers??
If so there may be inadequat oil baffles allowing oil in through the PCV valve. But being a rewly rebuilt engine I could be any of the above, post.
Just something to look at if all the others check out.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do have a new pair of edelbrock chrome valve covers. They are slightly taller than stock but they do have baffles in them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts