Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Tilt head to raise your nose in the air when anyone mentions their Flowmasters, Magnaflows, etc. This projects an air of superiority that they likely do not understand. Then remember the phrase, "Glasspacks don't drone."

You want it louder? Get shorter ones.
You want it quieter? Get longer ones.
If they are the louvered kind you can reverse them to change the tone up or down. The simple genius of glass packed straight pipes.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Tilt head to raise your nose in the air when anyone mentions their Flowmasters, Magnaflows, etc. This projects an air of superiority that they likely do not understand. Then remember the phrase, "Glasspacks don't drone."
They also sound correct on these cars. Flowmasters sound awful. I'm sure the bonehead who works at Taco Bell or Autozone thinks Flowmasters sound "hella sick" on his clapped out '84 5.0. Don't be that guy.

·
Registered
801 Posts
There's nothing sweeter than the savage snarl of some glasspacks on a Windsor.

Unless you're doing 80 on a 30+ min stretch of highway . . .

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
When I got MyFirstCar in 1992, it still had the original single exhaust with transverse muffler in front of the gas tank. It was rusty and didn't have that "Mustang" sound I wanted, so I spent $100 and Johnson's Muffler Shop in Anniston, AL put on new pipes and a pair of Thrush glass packs. Those were the days. My exhaust was messed up in a rear end collision in 1995 and I got an exhaust kit with H pipe and some "turbo" mufflers I hated. I subbed Flowmasters, eventually putting turnouts under the car just ahead of the rear tires. I got a LOT of compliments on the deep sound but it about drove me crazy cruising at 35. I have a mandrel bent 2 and 1/2 system now. You guys have me thinking about glass packs again...just not sure it fits the personality of my car.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I had Blue Flames for years. Had em installed backwards for better flow. I finally wore em out and went to DeltaFlows. I like the Flowmasters but am thinking about going back to Blue Flames.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I went with magnaflows. I love the way they go Ooooooo when the engine is under a load.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Magnaflows basically ARE a more mannered glasspack. =) Just a nice perforated straight-through tube surrounded by sound-damping media.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Magnaflows basically ARE a more mannered glasspack. =) Just a nice perforated straight-through tube surrounded by sound-damping media.
No, respectfully, I think these are more like a turbo with sound dampening material packed inside. I know they're shaped like a turbo muffler. Not sure how they can be straight through when they're offset inlet and outlet.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Still using these since i put the car together in 92-----https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Garage-Sale-Cyclone-Sonic-Turbo-Muffler,36794.html

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I used this on a turbo 4 cylinder I built once:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-94050

It sounded pretty good...the appeal was that there was no fiberglass to wear out. I always wondered what a pair of them on a v8 would sound like...maybe with some resonators added, because the one I had on that car did drone a bit up above 3000RPM

1 - 20 of 35 Posts