Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying a 408 Stroker from blueprint engines in a couple of weeks to put in my 66. Just curious if anyone else is running this engine and their thoughts on it. Mostly going to lope around town in good weather with the occasional trip to the strip.

·
Registered
1969 Mach 1 Restomod
165 Posts
I have heard good things about Blueprint engines, but no personal experience. I am curious about what transmission you are running and rear and any chassis stiffening.
The 408 can be a pretty stout engine for a stock chassis, but I suppose if you can’t get traction, it’s a moot point.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
I've had a Blueprint 347 stroker for almost 3 years and 14000 miles. No issues at all. Saw a 67 fastback at a show last week with a 408 in it. He said the clearances in the engine bay were credit card thin, but he liked it.

·
Premium Member
14,182 Posts
There was an extensive thread here a few years ago from a member who bought a BP 347 and had nothing but problems. Hopefully they have improved their quality control.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have heard good things about Blueprint engines, but no personal experience. I am curious about what transmission you are running and rear and any chassis stiffening.
The 408 can be a pretty stout engine for a stock chassis, but I suppose if you can’t get traction, it’s a moot point.
I am debating between 3:55 or 3:73 I do not want to go lower since I will drive around town quite a bit. 8.8 rear end and I am having the C4 built up a little bit. The 408 I am looking at is 450hp and 470tq. I believe the 8.8 is considered good at 450hp and the C4 with builds can easily handle the hp and torque. I will be running the stock chassis, street tires, and stock suspension so I do not expect to get much traction anyhow. I won't be driving it too hard in town and only hitting the track 3-4 times a year.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've had a Blueprint 347 stroker for almost 3 years and 14000 miles. No issues at all. Saw a 67 fastback at a show last week with a 408 in it. He said the clearances in the engine bay were credit card thin, but he liked it.
Glad you have been satisfied. I am surprised the fastback had such a tight clearance as the 408 is a 351c block and is only slightly larger than the 289/302

·
Registered
6 Posts
the 408 stroker is a 351 Windsor block. there should be no clearance issues.
My thoughts exactly. I have on heard of some exhaust issues due to the wider block and higher deck. My exhaust has several inches of play when disconnected though and I am re-using my 302 headers so I don't think the minor diff will matter on my application

·
Registered
6 Posts
Putting a 408/351W in a 65/66 is tight. Headers and potentially hood clearance to begin with.

Rusty
I have plenty of room with the hood, it is an aftermarket fiberglass cowl hood.

When I disconnect my exhaust from my headers I have a couple inches of play in all directions and plenty of space at the fenders. I do not think it will be much of an issue if any.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts