Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw Pat mention this in a previous post. I'm buying parts for a friend in South America who helped me get my cylinder head. He's building an all out drag motor and parts are really expensive down there. He wanted me to buy the best quality oil pump I could for him at any cost, but all I could find was a Clifford "Blueprinted" Melling pump. It's not advertised as anything else. My question is - what exactly did they do to it and for what benefit? What kind of tools are involved in the process. Is this something I could do with the standard Melling piece I got from AutoZone before I put it into my new 250? Thanks

John

[color:blue]'68 Coupe
250/C4, 221 Argentine Head</font color=blue>

·
Registered
394 Posts
John,
Typically this is the same as blueprinting an engine. Mass production, especially for cast parts requires sizeable tolerance ranges. Blueprinting involves tightening up the dimension of the parts to more closely match the original design dimensions. Depending on the cost difference, it may or may not be worth it from a practical standpoint. For a full-tilt race motor, I would probably go for it.

Jim Gates
72 Mach 1 - 460
65 Olds 4-4-2
71 Dart Swinger 340 - Project in the queue

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Tools required are some thin feeler guages (a .0015-.020 set will do), a depth micrometer, a surface plate and a outside micrometer and snap guage to measure the ID of the housing...also, some 400-600grit carborundum paper.

Most HP engine books have the procedures...

Additionally, I made an adapter to spin the pump in the mill and test its operating pressure at speeds up to 3000 rpm....there are different springs available to control ultimate pressure and I've also messed around with an adjustable pressure scenario as well...

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
So as not to give away all my secrets, I'd suggest consulting a HP engine book for blueprinting tips...

Yes you can do it to the standard Melling pump....I've often had to buy 2 or 3 to get one that would pass muster...

That's what is in the race car engine right now...

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

1 - 4 of 4 Posts