Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this has been asked before, if so set me straight.
We see many of the same questions over and over here on this forum.
Cowl Repairs, AOD upgrades, Brake upgrades, Installing Windshields, Rebuilding Steering boxes and Control Valves, How to media-blast, Painting Interiors, etc..

Most of us here have asked these questions and get a lot of great help from others.

A technical section would be a repository of well written articles documenting many different tasks involved in restoring or modifying our classic Mustangs. The articles would be reviewed by moderators and posted by them if deemed beneficial to the forum.

True we can often find links to info but having it right here would be great. I think people would be eager to share by submitting "How to" articles.

Just wondering...

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
There are lots of pictorials on the web, but it's hard to track them all down. A central repository of links would probably suffice.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I think this is a great idea. We take allot of the knowledge gained restoring mustangs for granted assumeing that it is common knowlege when it fact it is not. If just some of that information made it into tech articles it would be helpful to the masses. Not everyone has been working with mustangs for a lifetime.

J

·
Registered
446 Posts
Maybe just add a link like the mustang mothly did and put a how to forum of the top 25 to 30 things that are done to a mustang. such as floors, cowl etc.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Here's the problems:

First it's time consuming for someone (namely, Bob ). We've attempted it 2 or 3 times in the past and it usually fizzles out fairly quickly because no one has the time or knowledge of everything to moderate it.

Secondly, no matter who writes the tech article, they will leave out secrets that others have to do the job faster, easier, cheaper, etc.

Third, there are a couple things that are the same on all years, but only a couple. Having owned an early '65, a couple of '66's, a '68, a couple of '69 coupes, and a '69 sportsroof, not to mention the countless other years I've worked on, most things are year specific. By the time you include the differences of, say a windshield between pre '69 cars, '69/later cars, and convertibles, the articles would be either EXTREMELY lengthy or incomplete.

It's the same reason that I've let all my magazine subscriptions expire. I would get very frustrated reading the "tech articles" and shaking my head with either the incorrect info., bone-head advice where there's an easier way, etc.

Bottom line is most of the stuff is here if you use the search feature. For those that refuse to use the search, there's no reason to believe they'll read the tech articles.

I'm not trying to be mean or a jerk ... just stating why it's a MUCH more difficult task that what meets the eye.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Valid points from everyone. Johnpro I've written articles before for another forum and I too know it's tough to get it all correct and complete.
That being said possibly a repository for links would be a good option as manley stated.

Searching works sometimes, I have used the option many times and it is sometimes difficult to find just what I'm looking for. I believe it's just the way the forum software is written. I know that Bob has stated in the past that a software change is likely in the future.

I really enjoy this forum and the people on it. Sharing info where I can adds a special perspective to the hobby.

I'll go back to my engine now.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I'm working on something similar (beta testing) for my site right now. Here's the message I posted on Eleanorclub.com. Though my site is about the transformation of my car to an Eleanor. I was hoping some of you guys would contribute to the How-To / Tech articles. Once Beta testing is done e-mails / PM's will go out asking who wants to be a contributor.

I'm working out the details of the beta site locally before launch but this is what I've come up with so far.

Members can sign up and are given a page to give details of their car.

Some members will be given contributor access. This gives them the ability to write how-to / Tech articles. These will be linked from a central area on the site and they can also add them to their webpage. This will include product reviews as well. The articles will be open to all kinds of work on your mustang. I already have an idea of some of the contributors I would recommend and emails will be going out to them in January to test the public beta site.

all Vistors will be able to comment and vote on the articles but only the author and admins will be able to modify articles.

All visitors will be able to view the member pages without signing up.

There will be no forums as I figure there are enough eleanor themed forums out there already. There will be links to the forums I'm aware of - VMF, Eleanorclub, CustomFastbackCA, EleanorStang.

The editor will be an online wysiwyg editor that allows you to add text, online pics, links, and use formating tools. The overal look to the site will remain.

User registration will require that you have a mustang that you are currently Eleanor-izing to some degree. Wishful thinking users will not be allowed unfortunately.

I will probably allow companies building Eleanors to register but they will not be able to plug their own company in the tech articles / personal pages. There will be an area seperate from those listing vendors. Due to some people getting ripped by some companies we'll see how it goes.

What do you guys think?

-Deric
[email protected]
BuildingEleanor.com

1 - 12 of 12 Posts