Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious what everybody has used to fill in holes in their engine bay.
A few holes can be covered up with rubber plugs, but the rest are from drill bits or similar and I would like to fill them before I paint.

·
Registered
151 Posts
If the holes are not too large (3/8 or smaller) they can be welded with a Mig welder, ground down smooth and any minor imperfections can then be filled in wih a good quality filler. If the holes are larger you will probably need to make a patch and weld it in and then finish it off as previously mentioned.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I brazed small holes shut, ground them down, then filled them with body filler. You cant tell the holes were there. Could go up to 1/2" without messing things up too bad. My engine bay looked like Machine Gun Kelly lived in it.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Depending on the location of the holes, a quick easy alternative to welding, is to patch in metal using POR-patch from the makers of POR-15. You can take a small piece of sheet metal (or even tin, etc.) and coat one side with POR-patch. Place it on the back side of the hole, then fill the remaining hole with POR-patch. The metal, using the POR-patch will bond damn near as strong as if it were welded.

Obviously this method will work best in places where you won't see the metal on the other side, like on the firewall. Once that POR-patch hardens, you cannot remove the metal ... it bonds that permanently.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
believe it or not about 10 years ago I fixed the heat shield on my 70 351 c exhaust manifold and used body filler and it still has yet to crack or anything. BTW that's not how I normally work.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm, I was hoping not to use a welder. The POR-15 patch would work in a few spots.
General feeling is that body filler isn't the way to go, eh.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts