Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Fastback
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a new trunk lid for my 67 fastback several years ago. It fits great across the rear window but on both sides the curve doesn't match. What have you guys done in this situation? I really don't want to fill all that with bondo. The problem is I've had this for three years ago from CJPP so I think I'm stuck with it.

·
Registered
932 Posts
That's going to take a little head scratching on that one. it might be best just to get another one. Hope some one has a great ideal., It's just in a bad spot. I would say heat the under side, and try to bend out, a little at a time.But Iam not sure you can even do that.

·
Registered
179 Posts
If it were mine, I’d try using a port-a-power inside the trunk. A bottle jack may even work. Use something (piece of soft wood with the edges knocked down) to distribute the push over a bigger surface area. If that corner is over the frame rail or near it, I think the corner would come up quite easily. It’s a crap shoot idea as the contour may still not be right. Least you could reduce the filler. I would not heat it myself, body panels warp so easily. If your gas tank is out, that'd be a great access hole

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
R they original qtrs?
i would first try another trunk. If still same and not original qtr. I would try cutting a slot in it and see if I could push done To get even. If original qtrs. I think I would try to find an Oem one

·
Registered
932 Posts
If you could get another one, I would and try it, you go cutting and bending, it is a pain in the A== . and a lot of time, and unless you are a REAL pro at it, it just will not be the same. I have done a lot of cutting, welding, grinding, bending, kicking, throwing, try another one first.

·
Registered
10,208 Posts
Tweak it: you use a rubber hammer, put it in the trunk gutter and gently and slowly put pressure on the lid. Do a little at a time. I said slowly and gently didn't I?

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
I can't tell from the photo but if it dives down at the point it doesn't match then I agree with massaging that corner to fit. If not I wouls also look into a different lid.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
You're about to run head-on into their very strict 60 or 90 day return policy...TFB basically...unless they have changed their business practices......which I doubt...so, bend it tweak it, push,beat etc, fiberglass base filler then regular filler over that is about all I see you doing with it. I would not alter the factory 1/4s.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts