Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took a look at this '65 coupe in Sparks, NV yesterday.

This was the description
"65 Mustang Coupe $4500"
Firm on Price no trades Please. California Car! 289 V8 Mustang with Generator / light. Car has many new parts I would say 80% restored to good condition. Straight body, no rust/bondo. Runs and drive great! No Leaks. "

Car wasnt in bad shape as far as I could tell at first, started right up, idled nice, new carpet kit, but it needed more interior work, wiring was a hack job but I knew that wouldnt be that big of a deal this time around, (already went through that with my 66) and new paint. Engine bay was clean.. actually a little too clean for a car that has supposedly been "sitting for months"

I asked the guy why he was selling, he said he was moving. I opened the trunk and a brand new trunk mat was bolted in. Then I asked him if it was cool if I pulled out the back rest in the back seat to see the actual body of the car. He hesitated at first and I soon found out why. The whole back end (inside) of the body was covered in bed liner.. BED LINER! WTF?

I asked him why it was covered in bed liner and he acted like he didnt know. The wheel wells had bed liner on them too.. took a peak under back lower valance and found out (maybe) why someone would try to cover the hidden portions of the body with bed liner..

A nice softball sized rusted hole right through the bottom of the trunk to the side of the tank. I probably wouldnt have been able to see if the trunk wasnt open. Looks like it was haphazardly patched with bondo (all of the rust wasnt even cut out) then some retard rolled over it with bed liner of all things.

I can only imagine what other creative patches lay under the new carpet and trunk mat I couldnt see..

Thanks but no thanks buddy!

·
Beach Bum
5,694 Posts
SWMBO'S 65 Fastback had 1/2" of bondo on the top of the quarter panel on the r/s covering a previous accident.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Speaking of creative patches!
I remember back in the mid seventies finding a rear quarter patch that was reinforced with a fishnet stocking. Seems the owner was doing her own work and needed something to support the glob of filler in the open hole. That was a conversation piece for a while. I've seen newspaper; window screen, both nylon and aluminum; pieces of lumber and other objects that defy identification.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He was definitely hoping for a sucker to come along and not notice a trunk mat suspiciously bolted down.
ya thats what initially tipped me off there was something up.. prob thought since im a chick i wouldnt notice..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts