Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I'm new to the area, and I also just got my Mustang, I need to be prepared.

Can anybody suggest a good body man for an extraodinarily picky (that's me) Mustang owner in the area? I live in Palatine, but am willing to drive anywhere in Chicago area for the right shop. I want to be ready if I need some body work done.

How about a windshield shop? I ran into some rain and have a leak at the top of the windsheild I just became aware of.

Most importantly, I need to find an honest and knowledgable mechanic in the area. One who does not smoke around my car, and who will return it to me without requiring a full detail of the car when he is finished with it. I don't know a thing about mechanical repairs so I need somebody good whom I can trust and who appreciates my baby.

Thanks in advance for all your recommendations.

Troy

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
As far as mechanics go. I highly recommend Precision Auto Werks in Frankfort. I've known the owner for 26 of my 31 years. He is a Ford Lincoln/ Mercury Master Tech and a Mustang Guy (his Stang is PURE white, runs 10's in the quarter and takes a trophy at every car show) His shop is not only a Mechanical shop but a Detail shop as well. So he returns every car as clean or cleaner than he received it. Phone #815-469-1451 If you get the machine leave a message, he will call back.

G

·
Mustang of Chicago in Bensenville did quite a bit of mechanical work on my car that had been sitting for approximately 8 years in a garage. I was very satisified with the work they did. Scott is the owner and his number is 630-860-7077. I've heard from other Mustang owners that Mustang Restorations in East Dundee is a good place for body work.

·
Premium Member
1964 1/2 Convertible - 260 V8 C4 Automatic, Power Top, Console, 4 Wheel Drums
2,697 Posts
Howdy.

I will recommend Larry Ferraro at SLS Automotive in Villa Park for body work.

I have not dealt with the place in Dundee - but I have heard that you would be
wise to get quotes from a few sources before you have them do work for you.

SLS Automotive can be reached at 630-530-1606.

They will take on mechanical work there too - but they usually send the car
somewhere else to get that done.

I second the recommendation of Mustang of Chicago for engine work.

-Zim

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the recommendations fellas. Please keep them comming. E. Dundee is not very far from me since I live in Palatine. I should check out that restoration shop there. As far as body work, my car is currently in perfect condition. The only time I'll need some body work is if something bad happens. Then, my insurance will kick in. I have no deductible, so price is really not a concern. Sounds like the Dundee place may be the place to take her in if I need it. God, I hope that never happens.

As far as mechanicals, I really am a dunce when it comes to this stuff. I know so little about engines and such. I know how to change the oil, but that's about it. I wish I had the knowledge and mechanical background to do more work on my own car. I'm also always willing to learn. In the meantime, I guess I'll just continue to detail my car - which I'm pretty good at :)

Troy

·
Registered
74 Posts
Zim,

What have you heard about "Mustang Restoration in Dundee? I went out there today, and the work I saw looked very good. The $$ that they were talking about to do certain things I saw was what I thought was in line with places like KAR. Is there more to the story?

·
Premium Member
1964 1/2 Convertible - 260 V8 C4 Automatic, Power Top, Console, 4 Wheel Drums
2,697 Posts
All I know is that a few people I talked to at various car shows around here have
agreed that they are pricey sometimes.

I do not know what specific projects were being quoted - but 2 different people
told me that they got work done cheaper somewhere else after having them
quote it first.

Again, I do not know much about them myself. I would just recommend that
anyone who is planning on having work done gets it quoted by more than
one place.

-Zim

G

·
I talked to mustang restoration and they quoted about 4 hrs to weld in my TCP subframes!! Once the area is cleaned, I think *I* could install em in about 2 hours - but I'm a novice welder, so I won't touch it. I bought my '69 fastback off a friend, who restored most of the car - and coincidentally - alot of it was done at mustang restoration. That was about 7 yrs ago - the car is still in great shape and everything very high quality. However, my buddy was young, and he said he was constantly gettin nailed for money. Every job would go way beyond the quote, and they sucked him dry of cash! Then sold it to me! But again, everything is in perfect shape, I can't tell what was and wasn't replaced, outside of looking at receipts!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I seccond Larry Ferraro, i was just up there saturday with my uncle. he took the time out of his day to meet with us, and look over my car pictures to give me an estmate of what he thought it would cost. i have seen some of his work... very nice. he says he will have me in & out in a week too...

- Jason

1 - 10 of 10 Posts