Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the rear QP's, tail light panel, and trunk dropoffs on my 70 Coupe. What order of replacement, would you all recomend, to keep everything lined up? I figurre I cant just cut it all off and replace, that I would pretty much have to do a peice at a time. Thanks for any help, I realy need to get this project moving agean.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Just my opinion, but I would do it in the following order:
1) cut off one 1/4 panel
2) cut out and replace trunk dropoff
3) replace 1/4 panel from step 1
4) replace taillight panel
5) remove other 1/4 panel
6) replace trunk dropoff
7) replace 1/4 panel from step 5

If you line up the panels as you go, you will always have a reference to go off of.

Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the trunk and doors are already off. A bear shell right now. Should I put them back on?

Good idea on the one at a time. always leaves me something to mesure to.

Oh BTW the outer wheelhouses are being replaced also. Does that make a difence?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Well the trunk and doors are already off. A bear shell right now. Should I put them back on?
Absolutely!!

Thats the only way you'll have panel alignment after you're finished.

Re-hang and align the doors and trunk.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Absolutely!!

Thats the only way you'll have panel alignment after you're finished.

Re-hang and align the doors and trunk.
OK. Any other tips? Things to watch out for? I know this is a big job, so I want to take my time and do it right.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Do you have to replace the entire QP?? I'm doing something similar right now and I'm just patching around the wheel well with a few parts. I cut about 2" around the opening away, and then that left me enough room to get the outer wheel well up in there. Then I'm going to fit the QP patches and trunk drop off in after that... I just have to build up the nerve to start welding at this point ::

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you have to replace the entire QP?? I'm doing something similar right now and I'm just patching around the wheel well with a few parts. I cut about 2" around the opening away, and then that left me enough room to get the outer wheel well up in there. Then I'm going to fit the QP patches and trunk drop off in after that... I just have to build up the nerve to start welding at this point ::
Mostly just around the wheel openings. I do have full NOS quters though. Is it better to just patch, or replace the whole QP? What do you all think?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts