Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I'm having a little trouble figuring out how to approach the problem in the photo. It's behind the headlight bucket area so it's difficult to get at. Any suggestions? Larger version is in my flickr gallery

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2123/2055204696_34b7d13052.jpg

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Are you not able to remove the headlight bucket?

·
Registered
915 Posts
To me thats just the flange area on the front fender,If you remove the fender and the bucket you should be able from the backside to get to it and tap it out a little with a rod or dowel. I'm not familiar with a 65-66 front fender though. I am giving reference from experience with a 67-68 and 69-70 where you definitly can get to that area.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Anopther way is to spot weld a tab on the indented part and pull it out. Or you could hammer it into the general shape (so the lines line up) and then weld a bead onto the low spots and grind it off.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
dustyrelics said:
Or you could hammer it into the general shape (so the lines line up) and then weld a bead onto the low spots and grind it off.
That's exactly what we did with my daughter's '69 fender, that had a good 1/4" gap at one corner (a really weird former "repair" from the PO of the fender and the I'm sure the reason he was selling the "excellent fender" on eBay). We gradually built up the corner with a welder and ground it back into shape. It's probably the strongest part of her entire car now, and totally invisible, once painted *LOL*.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts