Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The guy at the cruisein last nite said to get a can of this stuff at the body store and come by and he would show me how to get the 66 to the "perfection" that I desire. I have already done the majority of the body work, but not a block sanding. I hate body work! too much fine detailing for me. I love mechanical stuff though. This guy used to do all the state cars and recently retired to do his own rods and stuff. very nice work from what I saw at the show. He said this stuff is very easy to use and get right. Just wondering if anyone else heard of this product? (said it was in a red can or a red top can, the band was playing so loud I had a little trouble hearing).

·
Registered
485 Posts
The only way to get a body straight and perfectly flat is to block sand. Lots of work. I use a Dupont Uro-primer filler, and block the car all together as to make sure all the panels are aligned and blocked flat. I use diffrent lengths of balsa wood and rolls of different grit self adheasive file paper. I mist the car with some red or black paint and sand untill I see the yellow etch primer come through. At this point you will see low spots that have the red or black mist, flat spots that have the uro-primer sanded smooth and high spots where the yellow etch primer sands through. You repeat this prosess untill the panels are smooth while going through the different grits of paper. The last being the finest then its time to wet sand. My 65 fastback I proberly have $800.00 worth of primers on it and about 150 hours. LOTS of work.....Billy :: :: ::

·
Registered
120 Posts
The "Rage" brand filler is produced by "Evercoat". It is a light weight filler that is easier to work than some of the cheaper fillers. I use the "Rage Gold" filler and am very happy with the results along with a 2K primer. As already stated it still takes a lot of hard work blocking/guidecoat the surface smooth and flat regardless of which brand of filler you decide to use. I get the "Gold" at my local auto paint store for around $19.00 a gallon. (on sale) I also like the Evercoat "Metal Glaze" for small touch-ups over primer.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
"Rage" is one of the top body fillers. It's equal to USG Kromate. What you do with it is what counts. Even professional body men hate to block sand. There is nothing that you can do to a car that will improve it more than a perfect pre-paint body leveling. Think of it this way. When drag racing, the car returns your effort at 10 to 15 second intervals. But the appearance of the car is 24/7/365. Babes don't care if your car does 11 seconds or 18 seconds. But even natural blondes can tell a pretty car from a lumpy, rusty, dull, beater.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Essentially it is bondo. That being said if used properly and in the right quantities, it is a great product. I have a pro body guy doing the work on SWMBO's 69 and for what he can't get straight with a hammer and dolly, he uses rage. On the Torino in the sig pic it might have a cup of Rage on the whole car. Very good stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts