Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be pulling my engine from my 67 fastback this weekend. I have not been able to get any of the engine to tranny bolts out yet and I was wondering what there size would be so that I can make sure I pick up some to use with my engine stand...... any recommendation on size as well as the length would be great.... The engine is either a 289 from 67 or a 302 from 70. I have not been able to get a clear reading of the numbers on the block. sorry for the lack of detail.. thanks

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Bolt size on all small block I believe is 7/16-14. I would buy the bolts 1/2" to 3/4" longer than what they go through on your engine stand.

69 Mach 1 427 Windsor

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Concur...7/16 NC, which is 14 TPI...I've whacked off pieces of all-thread before in a pinch, but I think it's better to use bolts because all-thread is made out of butter steel *G*....and that's a lot of weight hanging off the end of the stand there...

Have fun!

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
And don't bother going to Home Depot or Lowes, as they don't carry 7/16".
I found out the hard way a few weeks ago when I pulled my V8 out of my coupe.
Fortunately ACE Hardware, my 3rd stop does carry 7/16" bolts.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Be sure to offset your engine on the stand enough to remove and replace the flywheel or flexplate. It took about five fender washers on each bolt of my stand to have sufficient clearance.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
and don't bother going to Home Depot or Lowes, as they don't carry 7/16"

I've also found the box stores to be outrageously expensive when it comes to fasteners....unless it's an absolute emergency on a weekend, I get everything at my local industrial fastener supplier.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Actually, Lowe's does carry them, but you have to move down 1 row to your left into the grade 5 or grade 8 bolt section. $1.97 for two 3 1/2x7/16NC bolts, grade 5. Sheesh....but hey, it was a weekend /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts