Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Holley 750 carb.

Well, their was a cheap bolt holding the air filter onto the carb, and it broke off at the base, so half of it is STUCK in the carb.

I'd rather not drill it off myself, as I might mess up. But where do I take it to be drilled an rethreaded? And how much should it cost?

Also, should I clean the carb after it's drilled by letting it soak in carb cleaner or what?

THANK YOU!

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
you could do it your self with a powerdrill in 3 easy steps #1drill a hole in the blot with a regular bit #2buy or get a tap that will fit and rotate the screw counterclockwise till its out #3 buy a ARP(6.95 i think) one they are great and look as good as they are strong one more option is that they sell special bits that drill it in reverse to have it come out but if its realy in there it wont work

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
If you don't have the tools to do this then you are smart to take it to somebody that does. I'd remove it and take it to your local machine shop. Any good mechanic could likely do the job but the machine shop will have a few special tools that will make it a breeze, and you have a 50/50 chance that they won't even charge you as long as the threads are still OK in the carb body. Very quick job with the right tools.

What I'd do with the carb to keep metal shavings out would be to mask it very well with masking tape. Yes you don't want shavings in the carb.

P.S. - Don't feel like an idiot for breaking off a bolt now and then, sometimes it can't be helped. It's what you do to repair it that separates a doofus from a pro......... *G*.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Screw extractors, aka easy outs, work well. They are available from Sears or NAPA auto parts stores. Take the carb off, drill the proper size hole and instert the easy out and turn. The broken stud should back out.

Don't feel bad, I had a carb stud break while going down the highway. The air cleaner nut then backed off droping the broken stud down the carb. Not pretty. It found its way all the way into #4 cylinder toasting the piston and cracking the block. The towing charge alone was nearly $200 (Los Banos to Salinas) To top it off, it was 105 degrees that day. A bad day in deed.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Is any remnant of it protruding up just a little? If so, try grabbing it with vise-grips and unscrew it out.

·
Administrator
19,405 Posts
The carb is made of cheap and soft potmetal. The bolt is hard steel. This makes it tough to drill into the bolt without messing up the carb threads. If you have doubts about doing it yourself, take it to a machine shop. After it's repaired you'll want to rinse it off (and out) thoroughly with regular spray can carb cleaner. You'd only want to soak it if you were going to rebuild the carb. The carb soak is destructive to many of the carb gaskets and seals.
I remember years ago I had a broken bolt in a cylinder head and couldn't get a single machine shop to even look at it. Out of desperation I took it to a motorcycle repair shop. They didn't want to mess with car parts, but I talked them into it. Anybody who works on motorcycles for a living knows all about removing broken bolts from aluminum. Help is where you find it.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
As everyone else said, remove the carb from the engine. DRAIN ALL THE GAS OUT OF CARB. Cover the carb with a wet rag except for the aircleaner stud hole. Now I know all you guys are gonna smirk and scoff, but I do this on other stuff several times a week at my day job. A well practiced stick welder can put a small spot of stainless weld (3/32" or 5/64" rod) right in the center of that broke off stud without damaging the threads or the carb. Then tack a piece of 3/8" key stock to the spot of weld and she'll turn out easy. It takes practice and a speedglass hood helps, but its very doable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts