Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been searching through my manuals, online, and of course here to get all the info so I can install my TC, flywheel, flexplate etc and get my c4 and 289 bolted together correctly. My chilton's unfortunatly is very barren of information on the automatic transmission removal and installation, and is also lacking real info on the flex plate install and flywheel. Guess these are not the most common problems. Anyone have a handy walkthrough or something of the proper order and procedures with torq specs for installing the flywheel, torque converter, flex plate etc (basicly to connect the rebuilt engine and tranny back together) so I can do a final review of what i need to do, to make sure I get it back together correctly, the first time. I am not in anyway a transmission guy, the engine i get, the tranny is one of those mystery's I only have the basics of. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I want to get them back together and in the car on Saturday (have all day to do it) so I can tow the stang to our new home in texas.

Thanks,
A.J.

·
Registered
293 Posts
cool, is that your car in the signature image? I have a 67 coupe and I was beginning to think my car was in bad shape because I'll have to replace just about every body panel on it. But it's driveable and a blast to drive. :)

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Most important thing I do....

Just when I think the converter is as far as it will go onto the tranny, I keep rotating it and pushing at the same time and it suddenly goes on some more.

If a converter's front face isnt AT LEAST 13/16" behind the plane of the bellhousing's front edge, I keep gently trying to push it while turning it......the studs have always been at least 1/2" behind the front edge of the bellhousing.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
aye, that was the beast the way I found it. Looks different now, but being in a multitude of peices will do that. Also all the frame and structural metal has been replaced.

·
Registered
453 Posts
First make sure your engine plate is in place before installing your flex plate otherwise you'll be taking everything back apart. Install your flex plate on the crank and don't forget the load-spreader ring (ring that basically goes around the bolt pattern) that goes on the outside of the flexplate. Apply some sealer to the bolts and torque them to 75-85 ft lbs. Your torque converter will slide onto the input shaft of your transmission. Make sure it engages the spline and slides in all the way. Now you are ready to lift the C4 into place and bolt everything up. Remember the torque convert has a drain plug that will match a hole on your flex plate. I have found it easier to have this hole on the down side so it makes it easier to line the torque convert to the flex plate. I also have a couple of long bolts that fit the engine to transmission holes nearby. I put these in first so it gives me some "wiggle" room while getting everything lined up. Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Only thing I'll add is not to force anything. You should be able to push the trans right up against the engine plate by hand once everything is aligned. Once the bolts are snugged, try moving the converter forward and back (through the studs). It should move at least .030" or so.

Have fun!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts