Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the 2000# engine stand from Harbor Freight. I have my 289 bolted on to the stand. The 2 lower bolts made-up nicely, but the 2 upper bolts ran out of hole in the block, and did not bring the mounting bracket and block snugly together. There's about 1/2" of bolt threaded in the holes and about 1/2 of gap between the mounting bracket and the block.

This seems like it would be ok, but I wanted to check with those who have experience with this.

I have to return the cherry picker in about an hour, so I appreciate a quick reply, if you have one.

Thanks

wjj

·
Registered
501 Posts
Same happened to me. I just made a spacer to take up the slack. Do not leave it loose. A loose bolt will snap eventually.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Big washers....

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Get some 2 1/2" bolts and a couple of 3" bolts....grade 5 at least please /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
Thanks,
D

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all who replied...I ran down to Home Depot for a hand full of washers...they worked great.

It's amazing how those 4 bolts can hold up that engine...I guess as long as it's bolted on tight, the torque is spread out along the mounting brackets (and washers) and not concentrated on the bolts

I was a little less than 1 hour late returning the cherry picker, but they did not charge me extra.

Thanks again.

wjj

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Like the other s say, get shorter bolts and not from home hardware..get good grade bolts at a truck shop or automotive supply store. Those 4 small bolts have a lot of wieght on them and when you start pulling wrenchs, they can fail if not secured properly, adding washers is not properly..
I get my knee replacenment this year,, thanks to an accident I had in 73 when I trusted something I should not have..Both legs wore a truck rearend 100 miles from nowhere.
Don

1 - 9 of 9 Posts