Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm restoring an overhead console, and I'm down to fixing the center aluminum panel.

It's scratched and dinged to the point where I don't think I could restore it to original finish, so I'm not going to try. (I also don't have any brushed aluminum elsewhere and don't really want it here.) My plan is to paint the panel to match the new interior color, a pewter gray. (The console body is freshly restored black, and the switches and light bezels are new.) I'm also going to mount three locking toggle switches in the console, as well as fit on an original dome lamp, so an expensive repro panel is not what I want. (Don't panic, OEMophiles, the console will be restorable to original condition by replacing the center panel!)

Most of the small ripples and dings will come out with a little hammer and sanding work. What kind of filler would would best for the deeper scratches and dings? Something easy to work and durable enough to never separate or crack; preferably something that comes in small quanities. I don't really need or want a five-pound tub of bondo. :)

·
Registered
326 Posts
I've really liked the 'Evercoat' products. There is a lightweight filler/glazing putty that might do a real nice job. I've found that these live up to the billing - very workable and feather well. Eastwood carries them and I think you can get a small qt container of any of the products.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts