Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i finally stripped the entire car and to my utter shock and dismay there is bondo everywhere. i always got compliments on how strait the body was, never figured it was 30% bondo. well the stripper softened it up but it seems to have hardened again. my question is, is it necessary to remove all of the old bondo. and if so what is the best body filler? im using all metal right now. it has aluminum and stuff in it. it seems really good to me but im no pro. thanx

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Is allmetal the one in the aluminum can, with red markings? The one with aluminum filings in it is the better one. And yes, get all of the old stuff out. You don't know what is in there (rust, critters, etc) until you do.

My mustang was in the condition you are mentioning. However, at that time, I was young, and enjoyed lighting up the rear end, so the rest was insignificant... Now I've got to look good when I light up the rear end. *G*

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571478&a=12409371&p=45514468.jpg

·
Registered
21,229 Posts
I'd remove it. I'm not a bodyman, but it would seem to me if the bondo softened up, it means it's pourus and will absorb the paint stripper. I would think that might come back and haunt you on your new paint job, causing the paint to do some funky stuff.

Tom
You can do anything you want to......ONCE!
aka "my 66 coupe"

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Take off all the bondo. New bondo doesn't stick to old bondo well, if at all. You don't want it to start cracking underneath the paint.

-M

'65 Coupe ***Total Project***
Current Stats: Dead 200 six, C4, surface rust, hole in the floorpan :)

Plans: Tremec TKO, and a powerful engine of some sort. (I have a 351C sitting in the garage, but that's a lot of work!)

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
ALL METAL is a good body filler - expensive and hard to work with but a good filler. It isn't hydroscopic like Bondo (tm) and it adheres to clean metal better.

I agree with everyone else, remove the old filler.

I never believe sellers who tell me the car is 100% filler free. 'Stangs come from the factory with filler: Ford used lead and seam sealers.

Regards,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i'll echo the rest, remove all the bondo as it HAS absorbed the stripper which WILL bleed back out
thru new bondo and paint. do not ask me how i know this.

66 Coupe, 289/2v, C4, CA Red

1 - 6 of 6 Posts