Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1967 Mustang coupe
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I have cracked and ripped tie rod boots. How do I know if I need to only replace the boot vs the whole rod?

Thanks!
DrC

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
A new boot is just going to trap all the dirt and crap in there. You might as well replace the end.

·
Registered
10,944 Posts
That's a Charlie. If the boot is trashed, it's pretty much a given the tie rod end is trashed or at the ragged edges of being trashed. It's cheap and easy to replace a tie rod. Shoot, if it was my car, I would replaced ALL the tie rods with quality Moog hardware, have it aligned to modern, radial tire specs and call it done. I used to get really annoyed when I would replace tie rod end or ball joint, have the suspension aligned, then have to replace another a few months later.

·
Premium Member
1967 Mustang coupe
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats a good point. they do seem disposable. I see there are 12 dollar replacements and 65 dollar replacements @ NPD. Any comments on either?

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Thats a good point. they do seem disposable. I see there are 12 dollar replacements and 65 dollar replacements @ NPD. Any comments on either?
Get Moog. On Rockauto, the outers for a 67 are $20 each, and the inners are $30 each. Not so much as disposable (that's $100 in parts, not including shipping and tax), but they'll be brand new!

·
Registered
1968 mustang coupe
94 Posts
replace it, go moog and call it a day

Reactions: Klutch
1 - 6 of 6 Posts