Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo boys,

Does anybody have a Ford service/shop manual lying around. I'm trying to find how much of a tolerance I can squeeze on my 351 Cleveland with a build code from June 7th 1972. I need to find how precise I need to be on the bore.

I took the engine to an engine shop, had them go through the whole thing... hone, deck, spring pressure, install cam bearings BUT I didnt get around to the engine til about a year later and now that I'm all in I realized they didn't buy piston rings to fit what they had measured the bore as, and they didn't tell me what the bore was! Now I'm sitting here with an engine I don't know the bore too, so I can't buy the rings. I bought a dial bore gauge, micrometers, and electronic caliper but don't know to what decimal place I need to be accurate to. I was assuming to the thousandths considering the largest bore you can go to is 4.03 but I don't have 4-5 in. micrometer yet so I can't dial in bore gauge yet. If it's to the ten Thous. then I'm ****ed because this gauge only measures to thous.

Sorry for the Schpeel but anybody got some specs I can work towards, thanks.

PS. Has anyone bought the eastwood dial bore? From what I've experienced this thing is a piece of ****! No instructions, no Guide sizing and from measuring the guides manually with the electronic caliper they're not close to being .02 in. apart in spec.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
rings

Ja, if you can tell me what part number pistons you have, I can tell you what rings should go with. If your pistons are out of the block, just pick them up and look at them. LSG

·
Registered
35,852 Posts
Wait...... they finish honed the bores without having the pistons in hand and knowing what top ring type you were going to be using? Ummmmmm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts