Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Daughter's 64.5 has original power steering linkage. The manual center link comes with a Borgenson kit. Some of the inner and outer factory links are specific to either power steering or manual. Do those need to be changed to be specific for a manual center link?
Also, for those that did the Borgenson swap, are you glad you did it?

·
Registered
929 Posts
You don't have to change the tie rods at all. I ran my power steering tie rods with zero issue.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Wunder, I'm kinda nit-picking here, but why call the Boregeson system an upgrade ? I'm rather fond of my 50 yr old Bendix slave system. Do you still have the Bendix stuff laying in the garage ? If you do, there are guys that want that,.....LSG

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Primarily wanting to get rid of the leaks. Steering works well but just tired of putting the cardboard under the car. It does not get a lot of usage and probably never will. I'm going to try to pull the seats out, put in new seats and see how dry they will stay.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Some love and some hate the Borgeson. Im putting it on the 65, I have the engine side done and will pull the column as soon as I can get the time to do it.

I spent months working on a factory PS system for the 65 and in the end it was more trouble than it was worth for a non PS car. If it originally had PS, I probably would have had Chocko rebuild it. My moms 67 had factory PS and when she sold in in 85, it had never leaked.

My 67 is getting EPAS out of a Prius.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I just put a choko rebuilt box in my factory PS 68 and its better but still awful. Thinking about a borgeson myself.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't imagine the factory units leaked when new. Our original factory Eaton pump worked perfect but the control valve leaked enough to warrant keeping a cardboard under the car. I really disliked that. I resealed a Ford Thompson pump and will puthat on with new hoses with the new engine. Going to pull the aluminum seats on the control valve and either refurbish those or replace. Then I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and hope I don't see one drop.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Wunder, the Bendix gear ws fine when it was new. Mine didn't leak and still doesn't. You might send it to Chock, he is VERY good with this stuff . LSG

1 - 8 of 8 Posts