Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have installed the Borgeson Integral Steering conversion how long and how involved is it to install.

I would rather farm it out but wonder what I would be looking at in shop hours.

I am comfortable and like the pulling and putting back together but it seems on my 1968 it would also involve cutting a few inches off the steering column. The rest of install does not look to bad. Although with these older cars seems like you always run into something else.

RME

·
Registered
786 Posts
You have to remove the old steering box. With the motor out in my 66, 15 min. With the motor in, some say it can be done, but with difficulty. Add one hour (est).

Remove column. About 1/2 hour. Have to remove steering wheel, turn signal wiring, clamp.

Cut column to correct length. A few minutes, but I spent a good hour measuring many times to get it right.

Bolt in new box. 15 min.

Attach steering linkage. 30 to 60 minutes.

Replace column, wheel and wires. At least an hour.

Things I didn't think of, and things that will go wrong. 1 to 3 hours.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have to remove the old steering box. With the motor out in my 66, 15 min. With the motor in, some say it can be done, but with difficulty. Add one hour (est).

Remove column. About 1/2 hour. Have to remove steering wheel, turn signal wiring, clamp.

Cut column to correct length. A few minutes, but I spent a good hour measuring many times to get it right.

Bolt in new box. 15 min.

Attach steering linkage. 30 to 60 minutes.

Replace column, wheel and wires. At least an hour.

Things I didn't think of, and things that will go wrong. 1 to 3 hours.
I thought about 4 hours to farm it out.
The Steering Box was replaced once when I bought the car but they charged me an hour of labor and they did it with the engine in the car.
One shop I asked for an estimate gave me a quote of $800 which seemed somewhat high and somewhat out of what I budgeted for labor.
Going to call a few more shops and see what the labor prices are like.

RME

·
Registered
626 Posts
I am doing this now on my 67. I have bigblock and headers to deal with but I was able to get the box swapped in about 30min. The column cut was easy. My biggest issue now is getting custom hoses to my pump because my headers are in the way. I would say if you like the mechanic side, you can do this.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well if I can't get a quote much better than the $800 I will have no choice but to tackle the job myself! My budget can't stretch out for the $800 outlay! Not a lot of choices in the Sacramento area but I still have two more shops to call.

Where did all the shade tree mechanics go!

I had a pretty good Mobile mechanic many many moons ago when I lived in Santa Rosa.

RME

·
Registered
786 Posts
rme1964-- Had to run last night, so didn't have a chance to elaborate. Your estimate of about 4 hours sounds right to me. I would think a professional mechanic with a lift and power tools could do it in that amount of time.
For DIY, it is an all day project. Hand tools and laying on your back under the car (and I never bring all the tools I need under with me), takes a little longer. There is also the "while I'm at it" factor. Things like cleaning and painting behind the steering box while it is out, painting the column that you scratched while taking it out and cutting it, etc.
Mechanically it is not a real challenge for someone with moderate skills. It's pretty straightforward and the instructions pretty well cover it. The full kit comes with all the parts you will need, including the correct hoses for either your stock pump or an upgraded pump. A slight tweak to the angle of the fittings on the pump and my hoses are clear of the headers.
A quote of $800 seems a little high, but most shops are around $100/hr, and they probably haven't done it before and want to leave a little wiggle room if it takes longer than expected. You can do it! If you run in to a problem, several others have done it and will gladly offer advice.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
My friend Steve says --- any job you plan on will take twice as long and cost twice as much as originally thought.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A quote of $800 seems a little high, but most shops are around $100/hr, and they probably haven't done it before and want to leave a little wiggle room if it takes longer than expected. You can do it! If you run in to a problem, several others have done it and will gladly offer advice.
The 1st shop I have contacted is a mustang shop and seems they have done it before.
I figured there labor rate would be somewhere in the $90 to $100 so I was expecting a quote of around $400.

I believe I can get most of the power steering gear off myself in about an hour. Never removed the Steering box before. I figured like you said it would take me a couple of weekends doing it myself. Don't like the cutting the steering shaft. Hate to get that part wrong.

Will be something I will have to consider. I have so many projects right now. Suspension, A/C and borgeson.

Will feel like a new car when I am done.

RME

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My friend Steve says --- any job you plan on will take twice as long and cost twice as much as originally thought.
Generally any job I do it takes at least three as much as I believe a professional shop could do!

Good thing I am not paying myself the shop rate!

RME

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Its been awhile since I looked into this but don't you have to switch to a cable type clutch system instead of the zbar linkage

·
Registered
89 Posts
For those of you who have installed the Borgeson Integral Steering conversion how long and how involved is it to install.

I would rather farm it out but wonder what I would be looking at in shop hours.

I am comfortable and like the pulling and putting back together but it seems on my 1968 it would also involve cutting a few inches off the steering column. The rest of install does not look to bad. Although with these older cars seems like you always run into something else.

RME
I know I'm bringing up an OLD thread, but I'm actually doing this install in my '68 currently (well, not RIGHT now I'm not, I'm at work on my lunch :) ). I have the old box out and the new box in and I've collapsed the steering shaft as far into itself as I can and I still need about 1/2" or so to be able to install the rag joint. I know the instructions say that I may need to trim the steering column itself, and it seems they are correct. What they don't tell you is how to go about doing that. Am I going to have to remove the steering column from the car to do this trimming? Or is this something that can be done with it in the car? If it's done with it in the car, how the heck am I supposed to get anything to cut it with up in that area? Unless I remove my master cylinder and all the brake lines (which I just installed and finally successfully bled), and the hood as well, I can't see how I'm going to have enough room in there.

Any suggestions from anyone who has done this?

Thanks in advance,
Beardking

·
Registered
786 Posts
It was pretty simple to pull the column out of my 66 after the box and shaft were out. I don't know how a column comes out of a 68, but it's got to be easier that trying to cut it right with it in the car. Once out, 15 measurements (I didn't want to have to hunt for a new column), and 10 seconds on the chop saw and it was done. Having it out allowed me to sand and paint it, also.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I installed the borgeson this past spring. It was fairly simple diy job. I did have my engine out at the time, which help significantly. A couple of notes:
1. You do have to cut a couple inches off the steering column. This took me a couple of cuts to get it right, but I was very carefull not to cut too much. You have to remove the column from the car and do some measurements.
2. I have a manual transmission and they sell a zbar that fits.

The steering column is relatively easy to remove. The shaft stays put.

Best mod I have done to my car.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I just did the install on my 68 FB this spring and the box and steering column went in quick. I have a collapsible column that required me to push it all the way to the firewall and then the rag joint fit fine. I did not have to cut anything. This is a pretty low tech job for me anyway. My instructions did not say anything about cutting the column. However, at Mustang Magazine they a have an extensive article on installing these units in both solid shaft and collapsible shaft Mustangs.

Intergral Power Steering Borgeson Power Steering Unit Photo 1

I bought a OTC 6297 Ball Joint Separator to pull the Pitman arm and that was an excellent investment.

·
Registered
89 Posts
As scary as the idea of pulling the steering column out of the car is, I'm actually kind of happy that I'm supposed to do that to be able to cut it. I just could not get my mind around how I was going to get anything in there to make a clean cut with the limited space I have. :)

This pic
from that Mustang Magazine article actually shows pretty much exactly what I have right now. I have the shaft pushed in as far as it will go, and there is just no room for the rag joint.

Soutex, I ended up picking up a pitman arm separator from Harbor Freight and I was not looking forward to getting that thing apart because of all of the horror stories that I had read about having to wail on the pitman arm to get it loose. It ended up being a complete breeze removing it and everything else for the steering box. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts