Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been chasing issues with my borgeson and steering column for a while.

I have at least 2 inches of play either way at dead centre And with spirited driving the steering does not give any confidence.

From dead centre when I turn two inches either way the pit and arm does not even move resulting in the lack of steering response.

This is the second box borgeson have sent me, should I look at my steering pump it’s from a 1994 ford Mustang?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35,514 Posts
Pretty simple, actually. If the input shaft is moving and the sector shaft ISN'T, the problem is inside the box.

·
Registered
1966 Blue Coupe
21 Posts
Did you use their Saginaw box ? I am considering their manual conversion kit.. Arthritis in wrist.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Definitely something wrong in the box. I have not had any trouble with mine.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Not the first I’ve heard about Borgeson issues, it’s 50 year old technology, that’s why I have EPAS

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Harry, don't think I'm trying to be unkind, because I don't mean it harshly, but the Borgeson itself is the problem. Take it out, send it to Borgeson and ask for a refund. Then, buy a rebuild stock box and equipment from Chocko. The problem with the B boxes is that they are just adapted boxes from some smaller- than- a- Mustang car, and they aren't up to the job of controlling the front of a car as heavy as a Mustang. Spirited driving makes the problem appear faster. If you exchanged it for another B box, you'd have the exact same problem in a few weeks. Sorry. LSG

·
Registered
937 Posts
2 years and 10k miles on my Borgeson box. Still as nice and as tight as the day I installed it.

A mustang isn't that heavy of a car. IIRC its a suzuki off roader box? Should be more than fine.

·
Registered
827 Posts
A mustang isn't that heavy of a car. IIRC its a suzuki off roader box? Should be more than fine.
I believe the Borgeson are based on a 90's Isuzu Trooper box, that a 4000 lbs 4wd. Started with OEM boxes that got modified, later Borgeson got their own casting. There are also some other conversion kits that uses a Toyota box.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Harry, don't think I'm trying to be unkind, because I don't mean it harshly, but the Borgeson itself is the problem. Take it out, send it to Borgeson and ask for a refund. Then, buy a rebuild stock box and equipment from Chocko. The problem with the B boxes is that they are just adapted boxes from some smaller- than- a- Mustang car, and they aren't up to the job of controlling the front of a car as heavy as a Mustang. Spirited driving makes the problem appear faster. If you exchanged it for another B box, you'd have the exact same problem in a few weeks. Sorry. LSG
It was like that from day one. I’m on my second box already.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Besides the play how it feel, normal power feel? I would probably try to remove the top cover to get an idea of the reason for the play. A steering box are fairly simple tech.
The steering feel is on the heavier side.

·
Registered
827 Posts
The steering feel is on the heavier side.
Asked because I wondered if the play was from the valve in the box working with to low pressure. Two new boxes having the exact same fail sounds a little suspicious. There's something called a spool valve inside the steering box, It use some flexibility between the input shaft and the gear to control the hydraulic pressure.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
i have the same play. got used to it but tired of it
im about ready to order one of these Lares Boxes from RA.
USA made

i have their PS pump and its all top notch resembling original as much as possible

I have that box (non-power) and it has free play too. I had free play in the box that came with the car. I had free play in a rebuilt Ford box. I have free play in the Lares box. On all of them I could reach down and turn the rag joint freely with the tips of my fingers. I've been planning on going to the Borgeson.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
Ha. Good to know.
Well than i may just leave Well enough alone now lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm leaning towards Mike Maier's power steering kit. This was his response when I asked about his setup vs Borgenson.

"Mike is not a fan of the Borgenson pump for the mustangs not that they don't make a great product they are actually a little easier to install than our system, but the feel and response is way different. There is some delay feeling in the Borgenson pump. That is why the MOD system is a compile of different product to create the power steering kit. Mike I think used everything out there trying to get the feeling the car should have on the road and track and the MOD system was the best for the price."

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,090 Posts
I'm leaning towards Mike Maier's power steering kit. This was his response when I asked about his setup vs Borgenson.

"Mike is not a fan of the Borgenson pump for the mustangs not that they don't make a great product they are actually a little easier to install than our system, but the feel and response is way different. There is some delay feeling in the Borgenson pump. That is why the MOD system is a compile of different product to create the power steering kit. Mike I think used everything out there trying to get the feeling the car should have on the road and track and the MOD system was the best for the price."

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Looks like a truck box with a re-worked sector shaft and a re-worked Mustang pitman arm. The machine work is where the cost is.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

1 - 20 of 29 Posts