Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Then, buy a rebuild stock box and equipment from Chocko. LSG
What is “rebuildable” about the original box? Those sector shafts, worm block, ball nut, grooves etc must all wear to some degree. I’m not aware the individual components are commercially available, but I’m here to learn. 😀

·
Registered
9,092 Posts
What is “rebuildable” about the original box? Those sector shafts, worm block, ball nut, grooves etc must all wear to some degree. I’m not aware the individual components are commercially available, but I’m here to learn. 😀
Pull up a chair. Class in session.....
All steering boxes wear. It's a function of design, materials, lubrication and use that determines how fast.
Once a box is worn, particularly if through the internal pieces that are hardened, wear accelerates. There's no going back on that scenario.

Back to normal wear on a box.... unless you add material somewhere, it'll never really be as good as it was at 0 miles.
When we blueprinted boxes back in the day, we would use different size balls from stock in the recirculating portion of the box, we would substitute
sector shaft bearings for bushings honed specifically to that particular sector shaft..... and other stuff / processes like that to make a more precise box.
We called our boxes blueprinted, because that's what they were. Much more accurate than a stock box.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

Reactions: LSG

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Was that the whole class... “oversize balls and a bushing”? Lol just kidding. My point, which maybe I didn’t make too well, was that one can truly rebuild an engine, transmission, rear end or even your window regulator. These boxes are a wear item as you pointed out, and when they’re shot I’m not aware of how to rebuild them. But (and I say this humbly) there are many things I am not aware of. I have two 16:1 boxes I would consider “rebuilding” if I could get the components.

·
Registered
9,092 Posts
Was that the whole class... “oversize balls and a bushing”? Lol just kidding. My point, which maybe I didn’t make too well, was that one can truly rebuild an engine, transmission, rear end or even your window regulator. These boxes are a wear item as you pointed out, and when they’re shot I’m not aware of how to rebuild them. But (and I say this humbly) there are many things I am not aware of. I have two 16:1 boxes I would consider “rebuilding” if I could get the components.
The stuff that wears (and is a big deal) is the worm, worm block and to a lesser extent the sector shaft. In a blueprinting process "you" can dress the pattern on the sector and dress the gear pattern on the worm to a small extent without going all the way through the hardening BUT the overall answer is you have to have something decent to work with to begin with. This is true even when merely rebuilding a steering box. Those three parts are all but unobtainium in NOS form. Bearings seals, etc. are a far lesser detail and are easily sourced.

Compared to what you have to deal with finding suitable replacements for worn Mustang box parts, I easily came up with bearings, seals and both a worm and sector (NOS) for my 70 year old Ford truck. Parts unavailability is the major reason why GW no longer does blueprinted steering boxes.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Basically. When the sector teeth and the rack teeth have sustained enough wear/use, this allows the sector adjustment to "slide" into the box far enough for the sector to bottom out against the case.
Once this occurs the wear has exceeded the adjustment limits. Yes then this proclaims it a junk box.
No new balls, no new bushings, no new anything can be intruded in that box to fix it.
WELL, of course a new rack and sector with zero wear will fix that box, but why?
Get another box.

Then yes--Many of the same stories we hear of the non adjustment, ability to fix these Isuzu worn out box.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
A little off topic but does the Borgeson power steering box use PS fluid to lube the gear or grease?

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
And thats the problem with the Borgeson design, it wasn't tough enough when they were manufactured, so when you put that into a Mustang, which had a beefier box to start with, it wears quickly. LSG

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Looks like your pitman is connected to your old power steering ram, why? My power Borg kit is 6-7 years old thousands of miles zero problems. No slop at all, stearing feal is lite. My original power steering is all gone ,sold on ebay to recoup half my cost. I did keep my old pitman arm ,nothing else. Why keep that old ram in there?

·
Registered
1966 Blue Coupe
21 Posts
I had forgotten I changed my 76 CJ to saginaw box and pump in 83. No dead spots or leaks to date. Did Rubicon twice.
Guess I'll pull the trigger.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts