Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning a Borgeson kit install on my 66 soon. I have factory power steering and the pump works ok. It's a bit oily at the back but I think it's probably the return line.

The Borgeson pump comes in 2 flavours, one with a pump and one to work with the OEM pump.

Are there advantages and disadvantages of staying with my OEM pump?

Originality is not a priority to me.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Borgeson pump disadvantage- doesn't look stock under the hood on a vintage Mustang.
Borgeson pump advantage- based on the Saginaw pump, so it's far superior to a Ford/
Thompson pump in performance, noise and tune-ability. (various diameter pulleys are
readily available and pressure relief valve is easily accessible & can be easily manipulated)

Ford pump advantage- looks stock under the hood.
Ford pump disadvantage- nearly zero tune-ability, noisier, more failure-prone (in my opinion).

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Buck, I did the same thing as you and I choose to use the old Ford pump. Mine leaked also. Took it off last night and the output line nipple is loose. When I undid the large nut, I can wiggle the nipple with my fingers. Soooo, now I'm in the same boat, rebuild and use or change.

Borgeson pump disadvantage- doesn't look stock under the hood on a vintage Mustang.
Borgeson pump advantage- based on the Saginaw pump, so it's far superior to a Ford/
Thompson pump in performance, noise and tune-ability. (various diameter pulleys are
readily available and pressure relief valve is easily accessible & can be easily manipulated)

Ford pump advantage- looks stock under the hood.
Ford pump disadvantage- nearly zero tune-ability, noisier, more failure-prone (in my opinion).

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995
So i'm gonna ask you to stick your neck out......what would you do? I like the original look, but I also want something that works well.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like original look too, however I also have AC and will be moving to a late model compressor to get the system working again. My underhood looks are taking a beating in the name of improved performance. It's a high production driver car so I'm okay with that.

It's looking like I'll be getting the kit with the pump.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Although I haven't installed my setup yet I got the Borgeson pump. If your car is not stock and you are not going for the stock look then the Borgeson pump would be my choice. I never could get a quiet Ford pump, I'm looking forward to the improved performance and sound - or lack of sound that is.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Buck, I did the same thing as you and I choose to use the old Ford pump. Mine leaked also. Took it off last night and the output line nipple is loose. When I undid the large nut, I can wiggle the nipple with my fingers. Soooo, now I'm in the same boat, rebuild and use or change.

So i'm gonna ask you to stick your neck out......what would you do? I like the original look, but I also want something that works well.
You've heard my issues with the OE Ford pump. It doesn't have a lot of flexibility because it
was built to basically operate the original Bendix-designed control valve and power ram.

That said, I did years of open track with the original Ford pump. But I was "in" that pump at least once
for high operating temperature. (front nose bushing had never been replaced during the last "professional"
rebuild..... hard to believe you'd get that much heat out of that deficiency)
Fill cap mods, trick proprietary power steering fluid, etc. We're not talking a stock Ford pump here.

If doing it again I would definitely go Saginaw. (I already had the pump and bracketry off a 302 Ford truck
and only needed to figure out the hose situation.... this was going to be for the new 331 I was building that
never happened because I retired the car)

If Borgeson's pump is good quality, I'd say go that way.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

Reactions: ophthos
1 - 6 of 6 Posts