Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this isnt a repost.

How To Install Integral Power Steering Gear- Mustang Monthly

I want to either have my steering box rebuilt, buy a new/rebuilt one, or do this.

This looks sweet because its an all in one piece but new hoses will nee to be ran and I am confused with the setup in a '69 Mach1 with hooker headers and power steering.

I read the article the part that confuses is this:
"With the Borgeson box, you have two choices. You can use the power steering center link with an adaptor link available from Mustangs Plus. Or you can go with a manual steering center link, Pitman arm, and idler arm. For the latter, inner tie-rod ends must be disconnected. Gently use a ball-joint/tie-rod end splitter fork. Now is a good time to replace worn tie-rod ends and boots."

I actually bought the manual steering adapter thing from Mustangs Plus while in high school because I wanted to get rid of the power steering pump and crap.

Does the Borgeson do away with the control valve and power cylinder?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just emailed Borgeson on what option was the best with an already power steering equipped car and they said to install the drag link adapter #990003

Borgeson Universal 990003 - Borgeson Center Links - Overview - SummitRacing.com

The nice thing is I bought what looks like the itentical peice from Mustangs Plus years ago.

https://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/product.php?productid=831

Saves me $150 right there. I think all I need is the box and hose. Cutting the steering column kinda worries me though.

Wont I need the rag joint too?

·
Registered
663 Posts
They sell a shaft kits for this box. I think the shaft kit is about $55. Give Shaun at Street or Track a call or shoot him an e-mail. He hooked me up with a pretty damn good price on my set-up.

I took the day tomorrow from work so I may try and get it installed.

Fred

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I like the simplicity of the install (and the loss of the power ram), but it doesn't do anything for the Spear-O-Matic setup of the 65-66s.

John

·
Registered
663 Posts
I like the simplicity of the install (and the loss of the power ram), but it doesn't do anything for the Spear-O-Matic setup of the 65-66s.

John
That is true about the Sprear-O-Matic shaft. I'm sure one could get creative in dealing with this issue but creative also cost money, time, and effort.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They sell a shaft kits for this box. I think the shaft kit is about $55. Give Shaun at Street or Track a call or shoot him an e-mail. He hooked me up with a pretty damn good price on my set-up.

I took the day tomorrow from work so I may try and get it installed.

Fred
Fred thanks for the pics. Its obviously cheaper to have the box rebuilt or buy a new one but I like the idea of getting rid of the valve and cylinder and making a cleaner setup with less leaking parts.

Is that shaft kit in lieu of cutting the steering column?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
That is true about the Sprear-O-Matic shaft. I'm sure one could get creative in dealing with this issue but creative also cost money, time, and effort.
Which is why, regrettably, I'm going with a rack setup (not yet decided upon) I hate to spend the extra money for a rack over the Borgy, but I'd feel better about the shaft angle being safer with the rack, plus a better steering feel.

John

·
Registered
663 Posts
Fred thanks for the pics. Its obviously cheaper to have the box rebuilt or buy a new one but I like the idea of getting rid of the valve and cylinder and making a cleaner setup with less leaking parts.

Is that shaft kit in lieu of cutting the steering column?
The shaft kit pretty much eliminates having to do anything with the stock shaft except tossing it as far as you can. To my understanding, the only thing re-used would be the column housing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I ordered one of the Borgeson boxes for my 69 and it should be here tomorrow. Instead of the $150 manual steering adapter, I opted for a kit to convert the original steering linkage for $65: Classic Mustang Manual Steering Adapter. I tried putting the adapter in tonight, and it didn't go as smoothly as I hoped. Seems like maybe there were some differences between the power valve assemblies. Of course, mine was a rebuilt one, so maybe the one I have is some odd aftermarket unit. Anyway, a couple of minor mods and a rethink of the install instructions and I think I've got a workable unit. I hope the steering box goes a little smoother. I'm in the middle of an engine/tranny swap, so it will be a while before I can actually test everything. I'll be watching the forums for info on how these boxes work!

·
Registered
478 Posts
I was just looking at these units yesterday. Thinking seriously about getting one. The only thing that I wonder about is the routing of the hoses. I'm not familiar with the route of PS lines. I don’t have much space with the long tube headers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was just looking at these units yesterday. Thinking seriously about getting one. The only thing that I wonder about is the routing of the hoses. I'm not familiar with the route of PS lines. I don’t have much space with the long tube headers.

I'm actually swapping the supercharged 3.8l v6 and 5speed from my '89 Tbird Supercoupe into my '69 right now, so I'll be using the '89 P/S pump. I plan to fabricate custom hardline (steel) lines to go from the box, around to the front of the shock tower, and then rubber from there up to the pump. I figure the hardlines will take care of any clearance problems and allow me to put an "easy to get to" disconnect point for when I need to pull the pump or engine. That way I don't have to fight the lines on/off at the box under the master cylinder. We'll see how it goes, I need to repaint the engine bay, finish my custom motor mounts and the bracket for the hydraulic clutch master cylinder before I get too far with fabbing the P/S lines.

Corbin

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the hooker super comps and am concerned about about being able to remove the steering column....not to mention being able to get the box in and the new one out.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a power steering equipped car. All my original stuff is leaking. I wanted to upgrade the pump to their saginaw pump so I am ordering the one for a manual steering car as it comes with the pump and all the correct hose ends. The part number on that is 999020. I also decided to order a Manual Steering Drag Link over the adapter. I'm also putting manual steering tie rod ends on as they all need to be replaced anyways.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts