Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we have been posting alot about the 408W that was available for $1000 - I was given a call this morning by a close friend (who is also a car guy - unfortunately he loves bowties) and he told me about an alledged BOSS 302 and 4 speed available by someone in his tiny town ( a good 3hrs thru the snow belt from me). The price - wait for it - $500. Apparently rebuilt and ready to go. Now it might be a tired 302 roller and T5 - but who knows. I am asking him to send me a picture - if it pans out I will make the drive .

Photos - hopefully - to come.....

·
Registered
35,858 Posts
$500 would be a good price for a usable toploader, with no engine at all, so this could be interesting. Some people tend to think any smallblock with a 4V carb is a BOSS. An actual BOSS engine is worth like $5k in any condition, so I'm not real hopeful.

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
Some people tend to think any smallblock with a 4V carb is a BOSS. An actual BOSS engine is worth like $5k in any condition, so

Ditto!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yeah, ran into one of those once. $5000 for a BOSS 302, 4 speed, ('70 I think?) running mustang. Funny thing was the owner could never answer the phone or meet after that claim.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Some people tend to think any smallblock with a 4V carb is a BOSS. An actual BOSS engine is worth like $5k in any condition, so I'm not real hopeful.
Exactly. I can't tell you how many times I've been asked if my car was a Boss 302. Uh... No... It's a '68 Coupe with a 302 and 4bbl.

Also, slapping Cleveland heads on a regular 302 was a popular swap back in the day, so make sure it's a real Boss block by checking to see if it has 4-bolt mains.

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
Also, slapping Cleveland heads on a regular 302 was a popular swap back in the day, so make sure it's a real Boss block by checking to see if it has 4-bolt mains.
Don't forget the screw in freeze plugs. Best bet is to check the casting number on the block under where the starter sits.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I forgot about the screw in freeze plugs....that and the casting numbers will confirm it. I am still hopeful the pics will arrive in a few hours....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts