Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,952 Posts
plain 69 fastback. i hope you aint planning own transfering a boss vin from a totaled one to another body. thats illegal and the car wouldnt be a real boss. however if your gonna take a 69 and add all the boss stuff you can find and not change the vin then thats whats called a clone and thats o.k. to do.

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
1969 Boss 302's did not have the fake quarter scoops used on all other 1969 Mustang fastbacks. This makes is more difficult and expensive to replicate a 1969 Boss 302.

·
Premium Member
10,952 Posts
1969 Boss 302's did not have the fake quarter scoops used on all other 1969 Mustang fastbacks. This makes is more difficult and expensive to replicate a 1969 Boss 302.

yeah it would probably be easier to cut these quarter sections from a scrapped 69 coupe or build a 70 boss clone instead.

·
Registered
35,874 Posts
Building a clone B302, even 69, would be easy, compared to a B429. Either 69 or 70 would be about the same. More than likely, you'd need quarters, so just use 70 quarters to do this. A B429, on the other hand, will require a boatload of nearly impossible to obtain, real or fake, front end parts. Not to mention you'd probably spend over ten grand just in parts for the engine.

This B302 is fake. The only thing not perfectly authentic, though, is the VIN.

1970 Mustang Fastback

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
You'd need pretty deep pockets to build a Boss 429 replica. Just a complete set of heads (rockers, valve covers, etc) are about $5800 from Jon Kaase. 22GT's estimate of $10k for the complete engine would be pretty close. The front end parts would be near impossible to source, so you'd need to have a real good fabricator on hand.

A Boss 302 on the other hand would be fairly easy. Look up how to build a Clevor engine. You could get a good engine built probably for around $3k-$4k using stock Cleveland 4V heads.

·
Registered
35,874 Posts
You don't even need a "donor" to build a fake BOSS 302:

·
Premium Member
10,952 Posts
this race engine machine shop has a pair of rebuilt 1970 boss 302 heads ready to run. i was going to buy then but i just found a complete car. this shop does all my machine work and is the finest around here. JGM ph. 661-257-0101 $2500.00 for the pair. remember if you want the boss 302 engine you will need the heads. the intakes can be found on ebay. if you use cleveland heads you need the 70-71 closed chamber 4V heads and you have to change the 4 groove valves to single groove valves, mill and tap the stud bosses for screw in studs and guide plates, plug one water hole and drill a new water hole and all that cost money and its still a C head. if you you use anything besides the boss 302 head or the closed chamber C 4V head you wwill not have a boss or boss clone engine. a C 2V head on a 302 is not even a boss clone engine. you will also need a factory or after market dual point dist. and either a boss 302 factory holley or an original 780 CFM vac sec holley that was made in the 60-70's. i have the boss 302 cam specs and compcam will custom grind a duplicate. the only thing you will need to do different is go with 9.5:1 compression if you want to run pump premium.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
yeah it would probably be easier to cut these quarter sections from a scrapped 69 coupe or build a 70 boss clone instead.
FYI, 69 coupe quarters won't be much use on a 69 Boss 302 clone.

·
Premium Member
10,952 Posts
FYI, 69 coupe quarters won't be much use on a 69 Boss 302 clone.
i wasnt saying to change the entire quarter just cut the small section in the foto with the pencil circle and weld that in the hole where the fake scoop is if using a 69 for a boss 302 clone. you could also cut the little pieces from 70 quartes. and this would be from quarters that are either badly damaged or too rusted to use. else you would have to fabricate pieces from sheet metal and weld in the holes. 69 boss 302 mustang did not come with the fake scoops.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I understand what your saying. I just don't think that cutting that section from either a 69 or a 70 coupe is going to be very useful to a person building a 69 Boss 302 clone. The contour in that area is very different on a coupe as a apposed to a real 69 Boss 302 or any 70 fastback.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
plain 69 fastback. i hope you aint planning own transfering a boss vin from a totaled one to another body. thats illegal and the car wouldnt be a real boss. however if your gonna take a 69 and add all the boss stuff you can find and not change the vin then thats whats called a clone and thats o.k. to do.
No i am NOT planning on using a VIN. I guess I shoulda used the word clone instead.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Not to mention you'd probably spend over ten grand just in parts for the engine.
IMO this is not even close. Just to make it "look right" (wrong carb, wrong dizzy) would be about $25K in parts. And that is conservative.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So what about a Mach 1? How much different is that from a standard fastback? Sorry I dont know much about these years, all i have is 65's and 66's. I got 3 fastbacks and 3 coupes right now. Its getting a bit crowded...

·
Registered
33 Posts
A Mach 1 would be less expensive to clone because the drive trains are much more available and less expensive that a Boss. Unless you want to do a 428, Cobra Jet, etc. The 69's had 351W's and the 70's had 351W's and 351C's, I think. You can still find lots of the Windsors and a few Clevelands pretty cheap. Some one can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think they had any rare high dollar parts like special heads, carbs, rev limiters, etc., that the Boss's had.

I don't know if I would do a Mach 1 clone though. If I was going to go through all the time and expense of a resto, I'd do it on a real Mach. They're certainly not on every street corner any more, but they can be found a lot easier than a Boss. It'll cost you a few thousand more up front, but it'll be worth way more in the end.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts