Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, havent posted much, but have watched the board for a long time. Most of my knowledge is of the 65-66 cars, but I'm looking at a 71 Boss 351 with a buddy. The car supposedly has the original interior, has been repainted many years ago, and is ready for a repaint. It has the incorrect engine (owner says it has a 72 351 HO instead of the correct engine). It has an incorrect carb. Underneath was done very nicely when it was restored several years ago, but is showing its age (surface rust started on bare metal areas such as outbard of control arms, etc...). It is still nice underneath but definitely needs a good cleaning and some touch-up.

The car is not a rusty car. but could tell it had a little done to the bottom of at least one quarter.

I could tell it had radiator support patched, and one apron replaced long ago...pretty decent work though

What else do I need to really look for???

Approximate value?

The car is a non power-steering car, btw

Thanks in advance

sgilliam

·
Registered
9,888 Posts
Start with the VIN. All Boss 351's should begine with 1F02R, "R" is the VIN code for the Boss 351 option.

Next, take that VIN to www.martiauto.com and order a report. They're $45 and well worth the $. Kevin mails them out quickly, I got my last one in 4 days.

Value? Check eBay for similar condition B351's.

BTW, pics and more info would help....

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Dave, Is dead on go over to the 351 site, theres cetainly some knowledge on 351's here but those boys have it down. Just make sure you don't tell them where it is and how much they want to sell it for.

But tell me, just PM and I will tell you it its a go deal an check out the car for you :joker:

Mark

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Big buck parts to look for: rev limiter, ram air setup, 4-speed trans, N-case 31-spline T-lok 3.91 rear, exhaust manifolds, intake. You already said the original carb ($$$$) and engine is gone. How about the distributor?

Interior (deluxe or not) and color combo is BIG on these cars. If it is a decent color combo I would pay $20K for what you describe ASSUMING that the rest of the unique Boss 351 parts are there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts