Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy owns the 1970 Boss 429 shown below, he may have a buyer for it, but I think he is selling it to cheap. It needs work, but for the most part it's in great shape.

Here's what I know about it.

The body is excellent shape, and the paint I believe is original. There is a small dent on the R/H side near the rear tail flare, about the width of a baseball, and a very small ding or indentation on the deck lid which is hardly noticeable. The hoodscoop has paint flaking off of it as well.

The interior is excellent original condition, even the dash pad. As far as options, all I can remember that it had P/S and possibly PDB's. It has a center console with gauges built into, and I really don't know what was considered options for this year and what wasn't. It has the original magnum 500 wheels

I was there taking some photos today for a guy that lives in another country, and is considering buying it. I didn't see any rust under or over the car either. The Boss Stripes were removed by the original owner since he purchased the car strictly for racing, and liked it better without.

Here's the good news and badnews of the car.

The good news is... it has only 8,000 original Miles on the car. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

The bad news is... The original owner pulled the original 429 engine out, and installed a very healthy 427 which is still in it today. He no longer has the 429 engine. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Just wanted to find out what everyone would think this car is worth, based on the information above?

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oops! The photos....

http://a6.cpimg.com/image/EC/07/11507436-d926-01840123-.jpghttp://a8.cpimg.com/image/EE/07/11507438-7383-01840123-.jpg
http://a5.cpimg.com/image/EB/07/11507435-f4a7-01840123-.jpghttp://a9.cpimg.com/image/EF/07/11507439-7064-01840123-.jpg

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
A Boss 429 engine just sold on ehay for 13K yesterday. They are a rare find, which makes restoring this Boss difficult and expensive.

I wouldn't venture a guess on what he could get for it. But others will I'm sure.

·
Premium Member
3,118 Posts
Are those delux dash clusters with standard door panels?Where are the Boss 429 stickers on the fenders? Is there a Z in the VIN?

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I doubt it is original paint, why are the "fake" plastic honeycomb scoops painted?

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Also, I never recall the hood being flat black on a Boss 429. 69' The scoops were painted body color, and 1970 the scoops were painted black, but the hood was body color.....

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good eye on the door panels. I have no idea why the standard ones, the rest of the interior is the deluxe. The original owner took off the 429 decals when he purchased it, probably when he decided to pull the 429 and race it with the 427 can't really say I would know why?

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Hmmm...
Car for sale, 8000 mi., no rust, too cheap???? Sounds like a sales pitch!

What's it worth? Prolly 1/4-1/3 the price of a complete car, a little more if it has a good race history.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I'm with Art all the way on this one. A Boss WITHOUT a Boss engine is a fancy fastback, although the Boss-9, if verified by VIN, shock tower and suspension mods, would still be a find. Without the right motor AND all the accessories (ie smog, correct exhaust manifolds, special ram air unit, yadda, yadda, yadda) you are looking at MAYBE something in the 15k range, possibly less if more things are found wrong and with the few pics you have supplied, the car is HIGHLY suspect. People buying Bosscars are a lot more knowledgeable these days as to what it will cost to get the car correct, and from the looks of it, this one will need MANY dead presidents thrown at it to even be able to carry the Boss name......

randy

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Yes please do not start the rumer that I have a Boss 429.
alltho I would really like to have one alas I must make due with the humble 429 FBD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts