Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hehehehe.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Midlife.......pretty quick pig don't cha think?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Freakin dialup...you beat me to it.

Final results:

Boss 429 27 points
Chevell LS6 26 points
Buick GS 21
Hurst Olds 20
GTO Judge 16
AMX 390 15
Challenger Hemi 15

Whoo hoo!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
It was a suprise, not a bad surprise but still a surprise.
I guess it isn't such a dog.

I thought the AMX would have done better but it needed the torque of a big block.

Still an interesting shootout.

Jon

·
Registered
630 Posts
that was good viewing.

Best line: "And the people that say the Boss 9 does not perform... are full of $*%&!"

Or something like that :p

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
i am very surprised with this lol.

so your telling me the boss 429 outran the chevelle ad buick in acceleration 0-60 and 1/4 mile? thats a shock. everything ive ever read or head indicated the boss 9 couldnt usually crack 13's. while the chevelle was well known for being one of the few muscle cars of the time to crack 13's bone stock on a regular basis.

so what did they run in the 1/4 mile or 0-60 ? if anyone can remember off of the top of their head that is lol

·
Registered
630 Posts
that it did... it even won the burnout ::

didnt do as well with the slalom and braking though.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
The LS-6 was kind of hampered with an auto tranny and low (I think they said 3.31) gears. Not the same as the 3.91 geared four speed Boss, but its what they had. I'm sure the Chevy guys are jumping up and down about how it was apples to oranges . . .

Carl

·
Registered
173 Posts
I am going to drop down to LMC to see which cars are on display. Legenday Motor cars is about 20 miles from my home. I have visited there several times and once had a full behind the scenes tour of the facility. I don't think that any set of tests will ever change anyone's mind, but I did like the fact that they attempted to be fair and consistant. That being said, my brother who has a 67 SS/RS Camaro says they missed the point by not including a Camaro.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Well it showed my ignorance ( not that I needed to brag about that fact ::) I picked the Challenger. I never knew they had torsion bar front suspension and were that heavy. That Mopar was the pig in the group......oh okay so a bad clutch didn't help. ::

·
Registered
201 Posts
Wow! I taped it since I was not going to be home. Thanks for spoiling it. Ah well, I should have known better that to check the VMF before settling in to watch it, but there it was right in the subject line... a big fat spoiler.

Thanks a-whole-lot :p

Anyway kudos to blue oval fans everywhere. Bragging rights. Now if I could only afford a Boss 9 to really enjoy the victory.

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
I didn't see it, but all I can say is I'd love to know how 'stock' each muscle car was... the Boss 429 is still a pig in its stock form IMHO - they can be woken up, but they're slugs as they came (two guys here in Des Moines have them and drive them regularly, and they're not exactly the fastest cars around - both stock setups).

-bob

·
Registered
77 Posts
too bad they did'nt use a boss 302 they were faster than the 429 or at least they were back then. the amx were never that fast either but they were cool just nobody supported them. all in all this test was bs, who is going to bring a hemi cuda with a weak clutch to an event like this?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Wait a minute. I've owned several Corvettes over a 30 year period, and I've never seen a Chevelle that broke 13s...unless you mean breaking INTO the 13s like 13.8 or 13.7...or, unless it was very modified. I never lost a race to any Chevelle. Well, I must admit that I never really raced anyone in my '73 Vette...nice looking car, but a real P-I-G with all the CA smog crap on it. Since I was young back then, and really into what was hot and heavy at the time, I don't remember ever actually seeing any Boss 429s run, but they always had a good reputation for not being shut down by stock Chevelles. I was a little biased, though, because I had a friend in high school whose dad owned a killer 427 Cobra...not Mustang, but Shelby (AC) Cobra. There was nothing stock or modified that ever got close to it. Nothing! So, Chevelles didn't impress me much other than you could use the back seat for something other than carrying parts.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts