Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just returned from a vacation with the fam. You northeasterners have a lot of history out there! We spent about 5 days there and had a great time. Old stuff in Nebraska might date back to the late 1800s, it's a whole new experience back east. And the seafood! Can't get that here, but I'll take my steak over yours anyday. :wink:

·
Registered
949 Posts
I live in an area surrounded by history ( Philadelphia, New York to name a couple) You take it for granted after a while.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Moved to DC from LA a few years ago. I absolutely love the history here. I miss the great weather back home, but can’t get enough of our own rich history here.

Sent from the interwebs

·
Registered
452 Posts
I live 40 minutes north of Boston in Southern Maine. Lots to see and do around here and with lobster under 7 bucks a pound (fish market prices) right now you can go nuts and not break the bank.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
i'm a born and raised New Englander who unfortunately now lives in Florida. i'd go back in heartbeat if my wife would agree, and believe it or not, i'd give up the mustang if it meant I could move back home. but happy wife, happy life :) :(

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
i'm a born and raised New Englander who unfortunately now lives in Florida. i'd go back in heartbeat if my wife would agree, and believe it or not, i'd give up the mustang if it meant I could move back home. but happy wife, happy life :) :(
Happy for who? Sure doesn't sound like it for you.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
I was born just south of Boston, raised just north of Boston. Tons to see and do.
It all started here.
When outsiders say "I've got an accent". Wrong.... where did the Pilgrims land!!!! lol

and seafood. I hate steak, love seafood any day. Plus you get your Omega 3's lol

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I love seafood AND steak...and everything else ! !
I was born and raised in Alabama. WE TALK FUNNY.
My accent comes and goes with my audience.
I DO speak Mustang, however, and I need no interpreter here.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I grew up in Aroostook county Maine, would love to be back there but the opportunities are here in the D.C. Area for me...
My home town has a population of 126...Dairy farmer growing up and didn't want to do that... now I wrangle "horses" lol

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Hmmmmn. Im a history buff, always have been. Was lucky enough to take a trip to the NE back in the 90s.

Bunker Hill, Plymouth Rock, Old North Church, USS Constitution and Nantucket Lightship.

Seeing Constitution under sail is on my bucket list.

3x a week for work I drive by Andersonville, its in the middle of nowhere, but well worth a visit if in the area.

I also drive on Henry Talmadge Elrod Memorial Highway, Medal of Honor recipient, Wake Island defender.

Macon GA is the final resting place of John Birch.

Lots of history everywhere you go, sometimes you have to look for it.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I drank way to much Mango beer in some dive on the waterfront in St Augustine.

All I really remember is the really cool Miller High Life globes on the bar.

·
Registered
450 Posts
The pilgrims were late to the party.

Florida's where it all started and you guys from up north really do talk funny. :)

Saint Augustine: 1565
Plymouth Rock: 1620

My son went to school at B.U. and my grandparents lived and were married in Roxbury so I have a little personal history with Boston too..but love the city just hate driving in it..lol.

Go to St Augustine every spring for vacation - probably a couple of the best bars I've been in - the Trade Winds and the Oasis (down A1A)...,

Both places are great to visit,

Dean

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
They might talk funny up north but Boston is seriously neat to walk around and see all the history there and have lunch in a pub that's been there for 300 years and still looks the same.

Kinda like Europe that way. It's cool, but it doesn't quite fit what you're used to seeing in the US because everywhere else has been built up more recently and doesn't have that same aesthetic and weight to it.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Being a history buff, I love the occasional trip to New England area: old world buildings, seeing where major events in American history took place....and of course the seafood. Love Mystic Seaport. Will be in New Hampshire area next month for black bear hunt so probably work in some sight seeing. One thing about the area, you can drive a couple hours and see 4 states.

Of course, here in Kentucky we have some history. Boonesborough for instance. I have a lot of family connection to early settlers and the Revolutionary War. One ggggg Grandfather was scout for Col. Crockett, later captured by Indians, escaped with help of Indian maiden named Moonglow who he married and settled the small community of Moon Ky. Another ggggg Grandfather, Lt. James Felix McGuire died along side Israel Boone in the last revolutionary battle in Ky, The Battle of Blue Licks, and his name is on monument there in the park where it took place. Born in Ireland he was one of the pioneers who helped Daniel Boone blaze the Wilderness Trail and build Fort Boonesborough.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Living and working in Reno, Nevada, was sent to Massachusetts in 1976, the year of the bicentennial. Every weekend I would drive somewhere to see some historical event. It was cool to see. A few years later I went to England on vacation. I thought things were old on our East coast. Not even close.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts