Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can be done to improve responsiveness of a Cleveland 4v. I'm currently running a Holley 650 w/ an Edlebrock performer manifold, and an MSD ignition.

My car seems to bog on launch, and runs like a raped ape above 31-3300 rpm. I understand that this is endemic to this motor, but does anyone have any tips on getting quicker throttle response at the low end of the spectrum?

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Your cam should be in the 200-215 duration and the .500-.550 lift, Try recurving the distributor to come in fully at 2800-3000 rpm. A 600 cfm vacuum secondary or even a 750, don't get caught up in making the secondary's open to soon. If you have a double pumper and no gears, auto you'll get a bad case of bog. True a cleveland 4V lacks some low end below 3000 but not to the extent that's commonally thought, it's lack of tuning skills for the unusuall engine. I have to baby the engine allmost all the way through first. My car is basically stock with the exception of a 780 holley and a sealed power 215 @ .050 duration - 0530 lift cam and some little tweaks and even through a fmx it still puts out over 300 rear wheel horse power and has got 18 MPG when I had the 4300D carb now about 16 with the holley.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts