Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What color were they painted? I know slop red oxide is considered normal but it seems to me I read on here in the last year or so black was also used?

·
Registered
9,915 Posts
You might want to check this at Concours Mustang. Red oxide slop is the normal, but you also fog some body color overspray from the outside in. And don't forget the semi black pinch weld black out.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I've recently been spending many hours under my SJ car. After scraping off years of road grime, it is indeed a red oxide color.

·
Registered
9,915 Posts
Well, according to the "experts" over there, seems to always involve some secret formula to get the exact color they see...in their dreams.
My veiw: cut it 3:1 with some flat white to lighten it up.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I don't think the word secret is appropriate. Since leftover paint was added to the mix, the resulting color could vary from day to day. The concern most likely is that if someone at CMF provides a mix, most people will use that as gospel and not do their own research. At CMF the standard recommendation is to get a good sample in the trans tunnel area, and starting with a red oxide base, add white or black as needed to get a match. Case in point - you stated to add white with a specific mix. On my car, once I removed the grease and oil above the transmission, I had a few square feet of nice original paint. I needed to add a touch of black, maybe 8:1 red/black to get a match close enough for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts