Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1968 Coupe, 302/T5
69 Posts
My second early Mustang that I bought almost 30 years ago now was a base model 6 cyl 3 spd ‘66. Red/red coupe, no ps, no a/c, manual drums, am radio bench seat car. It was steel wheels with standard hubcaps, but I swapped on Shelby slot mags, I’d assume from a Mustang 2? It had Kmart “economiser” tires on it and we affectionately called it “The Wusstang”. 😂

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
It's interesting to see what options people got on these low option cars. Like someone was not going to pay for disc brakes, but they were ok spending the cash on the AM radio.

Off to drive across town with my power steering, C4, AM all transistor radio equipped, 200 cubic inch luxury mobile.

·
Registered
36,005 Posts
I would think that there would have been a "heater delete" credit available. How much, $10? Was there a blanking plate at the controls instead of the the three chrome sliders and switch?

There had to have been a "radio delete" plate but since the AM radio was an option, that wouldn't have been a credit. I can't imagine how ugly a dash would look with BOTH the heater and radio delete plates!
Actually, $32.20. Back then, a common form for a newspaper ad for a car (the usual way to sell a used car) would be-

1965 Ford, 2 dr, R&H. Best offer.

You paid by the word, and R&H meant it was equipped with a radio (AM, of course) and heater.

A fellow I knew in college was from Columbia. In 1969, his Dad bought a new Shelby. People from all over the neighborhood came to see it. Not because it was a Shelby, and not because it had air conditioning, but because it had a heater. They had never seen a car with a heater.

In 1965, the radio and heater delete dash would look like this.

Reactions: 66conv6

·
Registered
423 Posts
"There had to have been a "radio delete" plate but since the AM radio was an option, that wouldn't have been a credit. I can't imagine how ugly a dash would look with BOTH the heater and radio delete plates!"

Radio delete (repo), heater delete (original), cigarette lighter deleted (I don't smoke), dashpad delete (bought as project, PO removed it)....looks pretty good to me..!
Dash.JPG

·
Registered
583 Posts
Loading on options seems to be a past time among some mustang owners. I get it. But I also appreciate a stocker "grocery getter" because I suspect far more of those were sold 50 years ago than an A code GTs with 4-speed stick.

I've been reading a thread this week about dealer installed options and it got me to thinking about just how stripped down a mustang could have been, when the dealer slid the keys across the formica topped fake wood desk to the proud new owner and said, "here 'ya go, you're brand new mustang!"

It would have had:
6 cylinder straight six with a 3-speed stick
3.50 rear axle
6.5 x 13" four-ply skinny wheels with "flat plate" wheel covers
Standard interior
No power anything, four-corner drums
No rocker panel molding on hardtops and verts until '66
No backup lights until '66

I would think that there would have been a "heater delete" credit available. How much, $10? Was there a blanking plate at the controls instead of the the three chrome sliders and switch?

There had to have been a "radio delete" plate but since the AM radio was an option, that wouldn't have been a credit. I can't imagine how ugly a dash would look with BOTH the heater and radio delete plates!

Any other reductions/deductions?

It might not have performed nearly as well, but visually, I don't think that a bottom-of-the-line mustang looked very much different from a well-equipped one!
Mustang - Section A - p 4.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
Scan.jpg
Scan0009.jpg
Scan0010.jpg
1-Mustang0012.jpg
Scan0009.jpg
Scan0010.jpg

In order to help answer your questions, I am attaching copies from the 1965,66, 67 and 68 "Car Facts" Books, and copies from the Salesman's Retail Price Guide from each year. These show what was "Standard Equipment" at Model Introduction time, and prices of the Cars and Options at the date noted on the Price Books. Some items could have been added or deleted during the Model year (especially during 1967 and 1968),

Starting at least in 1957, Ford issued books showing Model features each year. In the 50's, they were multi-ring, hard back books about 5x7, and called "All the Facts". In the 60's, and after, they were full size 3-ring binders, and called "Car Facts Book" ; in the 80's, the name changed to "Product Facts Book" ; in 2000, "Source Book". There could have been other names after the 60's, but not having them, I don't know. Many of the early Mustang Sections have been reprinted for years under the name of "Illustrated Facts and Specifications".

The Salesman's Price Books were usually printed at least two times during a Model year, so things could be different before or after the ones I have included here.

Note : Due to the 10 attachment limit, the 1968 will be on a following Post.

Hope this helps.

Bob

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Actually, $32.20. ..
In 1965, the radio and heater delete dash would look like this.
Yeah, that's pretty spartan to say the least. I'm impressed that it is painted to match the dash instead of a camera case black like the glove box and gauge cluster. It also has some stylish "swoop" to it. Not bad for a blanking plate. Before I bought 66#3, I had a '58 Chevy pickup, actually a farm truck. It had a heater (from Amarillo- as they say, "the only thing between you and the Rockies is a 3-strand barbwire fence") but no radio. Probably few stations anyway out in that part of the world at that time. It had a very bland gray bar that spanned the holes and slot. The mustang blanking plate looks 10x more finished.

I'm surprised that the heater delete was worth so much. I had it pegged far cheaper. Thanks for the info.

@196667Bob I'd double-like that post of 65/66 sales information if it were possible. Great stuff there, certainly an hour's worth of reading material. Thank you kindly, sir.

·
Dimples
5,008 Posts
I think most had the radio option because they were likely ordered by the dealer, and a no-radio car would be harder to sell.

My first car was a six with 3 options.
radio
Windshield washers
4-speed (that was really nice)

My current car only came with 2 options.
C-code V8
fastback roof
Those were the only two options I care about anyways. :)

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
My current car only came with 2 options.
C-code V8
fastback roof
Those were the only two options I care about anyways. :)
No way! That's shocking in how stripped it was! I agree: good call on which two options to pick. I'm surprised that the original owner didn't spring ~$30 for the accent group or the special handling package. Obviously they were going for a cool look with some pep. Just a tiny bit more and... I think those were two packages that were a good value for the money.

(Good looking car you got there. I like the stance and the wheels against the paint.)

·
Dimples
5,008 Posts
No way! That's shocking in how stripped it was! I agree: good call on which two options to pick. I'm surprised that the original owner didn't spring ~$30 for the accent group or the special handling package. Obviously they were going for a cool look with some pep. Just a tiny bit more and... I think those were two packages that were a good value for the money.

(Good looking car you got there. I like the stance and the wheels against the paint.)
Thanks! Yeah I thought it was funny that it was otherwise so stripped too. But these cars have been about making them what you want them to be since day one, so that’s what I’ve done.

·
Premium Member
12,205 Posts
My '65 Fastback had a C code 289 2V, a 4 speed BW T10 and an AM radio. The heater was not deleted. That's all folks.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
#3- 4 passenger capacity.
I recall reading somewhere that members of the design team wanted the Mustang to be a 2 seater. Iacocca told them "No!" because he knew these Boomers would be making babies and a 2 seat car was impractical for them.
That's correct. The prototype (1962) was a 2-seater with a 4 cylinder mid-engine.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Compared to the first car I remember as a kid, (my folks had a 1950 Studebaker Champion), the base model Mustang was luxurious!! That Studebaker came with no radio, no heater/defroster, no seat belts, no turn signals, no power assists, vacuum operated wipers, dog dish hubcaps, anemic 6 cylinder engine, "3 on the tree" shift, and rubber floor mats, I considered it the "Taxi Cab model". I recall standing on the front seat as a toddler and when my Mom hit the brakes, her right arm shot out as a restraint to keep me from flying into the dashboard, Surprisingly that worked most of the time. I can recall frequently driving up a hill in the rain and the vacuum powered wipers would stop working in mid swipe due to low engine vacuum and the windows remained fogged up on the inside with no defroster. Quite a challenge since we lived on a steep hill in San Francisco!!

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
I bought a 70 coupe when I was in college and the tranny in my '73 went out. Only "option" in the car was an AM radio. 200 six, three speed stick, black w/vermillion interior and skinny little 13" 4-lug steel wheels with FOMOCO poverty caps. Loved that car, fun to drive, decent on fuel and looked decent too. Only problem was it didn't have a spare and those four lug rims were near impossible to find.

Reactions: 66#3

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,019 Posts
People though differently about some options back then too. My Dad passed up ordering the K code for my '67 because (not to mention the considerable price point...) he had a young family and didn't see having to spend time adjusting the valves every 5000 miles.
If I could have a time machine... but that was another thread.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts