Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Bottom of the Line Mustang

3K views 34 replies 25 participants last post by  jfstang 
#1 ·
Loading on options seems to be a past time among some mustang owners. I get it. But I also appreciate a stocker "grocery getter" because I suspect far more of those were sold 50 years ago than an A code GTs with 4-speed stick.

I've been reading a thread this week about dealer installed options and it got me to thinking about just how stripped down a mustang could have been, when the dealer slid the keys across the formica topped fake wood desk to the proud new owner and said, "here 'ya go, you're brand new mustang!"

It would have had:
6 cylinder straight six with a 3-speed stick
3.50 rear axle
6.5 x 13" four-ply skinny wheels with "flat plate" wheel covers
Standard interior
No power anything, four-corner drums
No rocker panel molding on hardtops and verts until '66
No backup lights until '66

I would think that there would have been a "heater delete" credit available. How much, $10? Was there a blanking plate at the controls instead of the the three chrome sliders and switch?

There had to have been a "radio delete" plate but since the AM radio was an option, that wouldn't have been a credit. I can't imagine how ugly a dash would look with BOTH the heater and radio delete plates!

Any other reductions/deductions?

It might not have performed nearly as well, but visually, I don't think that a bottom-of-the-line mustang looked very much different from a well-equipped one!

See less See more
Reactions: Bernnstang
#3 ·
My first Mustang was like that. 67 Coupe, 200ci, 3spd manual, standard blue interior,No AC, No PS. Not sure what the rear end was. Sold it to get the car I currently have. I did like that car, but I blew a freezer plug when I was trying to go 90mph for an extended period of time. Never ran right after that, I think I overheated the engine, but the gauge never went all the way up, just 3/4 of the way up. I do think those cars are becoming more rare. Last time I went to a car show out of the dozen or so classic Mustangs only 1 was a straight 6 and 4-5 of them showed T code so they where supposed to be 6s but had been converted to V8s.

#4 ·
personally i dont like the phrase "bottom of the line" sounds like the car was an after thought. i much prefer the term "base model", since that indicates it was the least expensive, but you could option the car as needed. as for the options list, i dont need much in these cars, a/c and heat, and a decent stereo. anything else i consider a luxury for these cars.

#9 ·
personally i dont like the phrase "bottom of the line" sounds like the car was an after thought. i much prefer the term "base model"...
That's fair. I meant it as the opposite of "top of the line". Actually, I think it's more about a "sub-base model" since it would include deletes/credits like the heater.

Incidentally, for my daily driver, I have a near bottom-of-the-line, er, barely base model 2003 F-150. A/C and A/T are the only options it has. It's a 4.2L XL short bed single cab with a rubber floor in the cab, and has hand crank windows. 210K miles. I love it.

Yes, he missed that. 3:50 for K code, but T's probably had 2:something rear.
Maybe my source has a typo. It can happen. I'm getting my info from the Mustang Recognition Guide put out by the editors of Mustang Monthly.

#7 ·
Yes, he missed that. 3:50 for K code, but T's probably had 2:something rear.
Standard/baseline cars sold in great numbers so most were buying for style, beauty, economy, and the least expensive option!
Ron
depends on the transmission

automatic had a 2.80 gear standard

3spd manual had a 3.20 gear standard.

go figure since the automatic cars needed more help getting off the line in those days.

#6 ·
I remember cars coming into the restoration place I worked at called Mustang Country in Santa Rosa, Ca with heater delete and radio deletes that we “upgraded” back in ‘86 and the owner knew how rare these were and hoarded them.

Chris

#10 ·
As I recall the story Iacocca told the Mustang design team that the car had to be priced at less than $2500 while having a "sporty" look to it. He knew the market for the Mustang would be the Baby Boomers who were becoming adults. For you young whippersnappers the Baby Boomers were those born between 1945 and 1965- the children of the servicemen returning from WWII. Needless to say Iacocca read the Boomers' minds perfectly and they bought Mustangs faster than Ford could build them. Since most of these buyers were on a budget they probably tended toward the "bottom of the line" cars.
If you look at some of the original Mustang ads you will also see that Ford marketed it towards the parents of the Boomers. There are ads showing men in suits with women in dresses going out for the evening in a "top of the line" Mustang.
So depending upon your financial situation you could have a base model at $2500 or a deluxe model at $3500.

#13 ·
As I recall the story Iacocca told the Mustang design team that the car had to be priced at less than $2500 while having a "sporty" look to it...you will also see that Ford marketed it towards the parents of the Boomers.
Absolutely spot-on. Here are Iacocca's eight parameters.

I remember a quote I think it went like "you can sell a young man's car to an old man, but not an old man's car to a young man."

@Asm109 - that's a pretty scant list (but probably the two most desirable options at the time depending on where you lived.)

#18 ·
The original Mustang 1 concept car in 1962 was a two seater. Iacocca teased it to get the buzz, but apparently never intended for it to be a two seater in production.

#16 ·
I also got a 66 with just the 2V 289, an auto transmission, and AM radio for options... but I added stuff that made the car more sporty, or more convenient, or more fun for me... just the way it was done in 66...AND I used original Ford parts.
I got an original 4V intake and 4100 carb, an original C60E-G clutch and fan for a heavy duty cooling package, original Kelsey-Hayes front disc brakes, 5 original 66 Styled Steel wheels, two-speed wipers with washer, an original correct color aqua console and an original black Rally Pac, original deluxe belts with reminder lamp, and lots of Rotunda stuff available at the Ford dealer in '66 like parking brake warning lamp, headlights-on buzzer, glove box lock (keyed to match trunk lock), remote trunk release, junior size tissue dispenser (my kid has lots of snot), litter basket (to put snotty tissues in)...
I had a set of original Mustang faded blue floor mats but they kind of disintegrated. I do have a black set of repro floor mats now.
I stayed away from sinking money into stuff I would never use like a TV, mini vacuum, horseshoe bumperettes, and air horns. That stuff is for a serious collector with deeper pockets than I...

#17 ·
My '67 was optioned with an automatic transmission, rocker panel molding, and an AM radio. I've gotta imagine that's pretty basic, even among T codes. Haha.

#20 ·
My parents 67 had a 289 2V, AT, AC, PS, PB (drums), console, vinyl top, full wheel covers, rocker moldings and was Lime Gold.

Pretty well equipped I thought, I always wanted to swap in a 4V but my mom wouldnt have anything to do with changing anything on the car.

My first 65 was a base model car, no options, nothing deleted, I was the second owner I think it had less than 50,000 miles on it when I bought it.

#21 ·
My second early Mustang that I bought almost 30 years ago now was a base model 6 cyl 3 spd ‘66. Red/red coupe, no ps, no a/c, manual drums, am radio bench seat car. It was steel wheels with standard hubcaps, but I swapped on Shelby slot mags, I’d assume from a Mustang 2? It had Kmart “economiser” tires on it and we affectionately called it “The Wusstang”. 😂

#22 ·
It's interesting to see what options people got on these low option cars. Like someone was not going to pay for disc brakes, but they were ok spending the cash on the AM radio.

Off to drive across town with my power steering, C4, AM all transistor radio equipped, 200 cubic inch luxury mobile.

#23 ·
I would think that there would have been a "heater delete" credit available. How much, $10? Was there a blanking plate at the controls instead of the the three chrome sliders and switch?

There had to have been a "radio delete" plate but since the AM radio was an option, that wouldn't have been a credit. I can't imagine how ugly a dash would look with BOTH the heater and radio delete plates!
Actually, $32.20. Back then, a common form for a newspaper ad for a car (the usual way to sell a used car) would be-

1965 Ford, 2 dr, R&H. Best offer.

You paid by the word, and R&H meant it was equipped with a radio (AM, of course) and heater.

A fellow I knew in college was from Columbia. In 1969, his Dad bought a new Shelby. People from all over the neighborhood came to see it. Not because it was a Shelby, and not because it had air conditioning, but because it had a heater. They had never seen a car with a heater.

In 1965, the radio and heater delete dash would look like this.

Reactions: 66conv6
#27 ·
Actually, $32.20. ..
In 1965, the radio and heater delete dash would look like this.
Yeah, that's pretty spartan to say the least. I'm impressed that it is painted to match the dash instead of a camera case black like the glove box and gauge cluster. It also has some stylish "swoop" to it. Not bad for a blanking plate. Before I bought 66#3, I had a '58 Chevy pickup, actually a farm truck. It had a heater (from Amarillo- as they say, "the only thing between you and the Rockies is a 3-strand barbwire fence") but no radio. Probably few stations anyway out in that part of the world at that time. It had a very bland gray bar that spanned the holes and slot. The mustang blanking plate looks 10x more finished.

I'm surprised that the heater delete was worth so much. I had it pegged far cheaper. Thanks for the info.

@196667Bob I'd double-like that post of 65/66 sales information if it were possible. Great stuff there, certainly an hour's worth of reading material. Thank you kindly, sir.

#24 ·
"There had to have been a "radio delete" plate but since the AM radio was an option, that wouldn't have been a credit. I can't imagine how ugly a dash would look with BOTH the heater and radio delete plates!"

Radio delete (repo), heater delete (original), cigarette lighter deleted (I don't smoke), dashpad delete (bought as project, PO removed it)....looks pretty good to me..!
Vehicle Car Center console Technology Electronics

#25 ·
Text Font Parallel
Text Font Document Paper
Text Font Document
Text Font
Text Font Document Paper
Text Font Document
Text Font
Text
Text Font Document Paper

In order to help answer your questions, I am attaching copies from the 1965,66, 67 and 68 "Car Facts" Books, and copies from the Salesman's Retail Price Guide from each year. These show what was "Standard Equipment" at Model Introduction time, and prices of the Cars and Options at the date noted on the Price Books. Some items could have been added or deleted during the Model year (especially during 1967 and 1968),

Starting at least in 1957, Ford issued books showing Model features each year. In the 50's, they were multi-ring, hard back books about 5x7, and called "All the Facts". In the 60's, and after, they were full size 3-ring binders, and called "Car Facts Book" ; in the 80's, the name changed to "Product Facts Book" ; in 2000, "Source Book". There could have been other names after the 60's, but not having them, I don't know. Many of the early Mustang Sections have been reprinted for years under the name of "Illustrated Facts and Specifications".

The Salesman's Price Books were usually printed at least two times during a Model year, so things could be different before or after the ones I have included here.

Note : Due to the 10 attachment limit, the 1968 will be on a following Post.

Hope this helps.

Bob

#28 ·
I think most had the radio option because they were likely ordered by the dealer, and a no-radio car would be harder to sell.

My first car was a six with 3 options.
radio
Windshield washers
4-speed (that was really nice)

My current car only came with 2 options.
C-code V8
fastback roof
Those were the only two options I care about anyways. :)

#29 ·
My current car only came with 2 options.
C-code V8
fastback roof
Those were the only two options I care about anyways. :)
No way! That's shocking in how stripped it was! I agree: good call on which two options to pick. I'm surprised that the original owner didn't spring ~$30 for the accent group or the special handling package. Obviously they were going for a cool look with some pep. Just a tiny bit more and... I think those were two packages that were a good value for the money.

(Good looking car you got there. I like the stance and the wheels against the paint.)

#33 ·
Compared to the first car I remember as a kid, (my folks had a 1950 Studebaker Champion), the base model Mustang was luxurious!! That Studebaker came with no radio, no heater/defroster, no seat belts, no turn signals, no power assists, vacuum operated wipers, dog dish hubcaps, anemic 6 cylinder engine, "3 on the tree" shift, and rubber floor mats, I considered it the "Taxi Cab model". I recall standing on the front seat as a toddler and when my Mom hit the brakes, her right arm shot out as a restraint to keep me from flying into the dashboard, Surprisingly that worked most of the time. I can recall frequently driving up a hill in the rain and the vacuum powered wipers would stop working in mid swipe due to low engine vacuum and the windows remained fogged up on the inside with no defroster. Quite a challenge since we lived on a steep hill in San Francisco!!

#34 ·
I bought a 70 coupe when I was in college and the tranny in my '73 went out. Only "option" in the car was an AM radio. 200 six, three speed stick, black w/vermillion interior and skinny little 13" 4-lug steel wheels with FOMOCO poverty caps. Loved that car, fun to drive, decent on fuel and looked decent too. Only problem was it didn't have a spare and those four lug rims were near impossible to find.

#35 ·
People though differently about some options back then too. My Dad passed up ordering the K code for my '67 because (not to mention the considerable price point...) he had a young family and didn't see having to spend time adjusting the valves every 5000 miles.
If I could have a time machine... but that was another thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.