Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put in a 351 Windsor in my 1968 Mustang along with a Scott Drake 20" wide aluminum rad. Used to have a 302 with the stock 20" wide rad. However, I don't have the old rad hoses (top or bottom) and when I order the "proper" hoses they don't fit (not even close). I have tried two different vendors. The guys at "Themustangshop" in Calgary (I'm from Canada) have sold me the rad and confirmed it is correct but yet still the problem. I went to the parts store here and they finally found one from Dayco that fit the top pretty close so I have used it but this darn bottom one is way out. Looks like the bottom one has to come off the waterpump towards the lower drivers side and then curve back towards the passenger side before going forward to the rad. Any thoughts or part numbers would be encouraging to say the least. On an offshoot, I took the car apart totally and rotissereed about 7 years ago and am now putting it back together after a move so am missing a few parts I should have kept.

Thanks

·
Registered
807 Posts
basically, you have the incorrect radiator, it can be used, but based on your input, waterpump is on the drivers side not the typical pass side. You want to look for a radiator "5.0 cross over tube". It'll give you an idea of what you need to do. There's several Bronco websites that sell the crossover and hoses but its not cheap, $75+/-. Or, pick up two 1.75" ID hoses one that is 90 degree and one that is 120 degree, make sure they're at least 12" long, and cut them to size and position. Then join them with a 1.75" tube preferably aluminum, or even a painted stainless exhaust pipe cut to length. Be sure to clear the sway bar and suspension, tranny lines (if they apply) when you cut to size.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Another option is to replace your water pump with a passenger side inlet, but then you're dealing with waterpump nose lengths (short vs tall), reverse rotation vs standard rotation, etc, etc. Keep it simple and basically make one hose, from two separate hoses.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Groho for your thoughts. You are correct that I now have a drivers side inlet not the passenger side. I had indicated all of this to the "Mustangshop" vender in Calgary as they sold me the Edelbrock water pump, radiator and other items. I thought they would know but apparently not even close. Disappointing is all I can say.

I thought about a flex hose at one point but thought I better check it out cuz wanted a stock hose if possible. I never thought about piecing two hoses and never thought about the 5.0 rad cross over tube.

I will look into this. Thanks so much for your help with this ... very much appreciated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts