Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having issues bottoming out all the time and rubbing.

I think I have only 2 options. Put back a bigger set of springs have some performance lowered ones or change the tire.

Right now p215/60r15. Could try a p205/50r15

But that would lower the car even more. It's pretty common size so has to be the lowering springs

Thoughts? Not sure of the back spacing on the shelby rims

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,617 Posts
I agree 100% with awhtx. It's not the tires. And although the backspacing on those wheels may not be exactly optimal, they aren't that far off either. The clearance in your pic looks good too. Something else is kerflooey and shot springs are the most likely suspects.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Springs and shocks. Weak springs will allow it to move way too much and worn shocks won’t slow this motion down. Bad combination.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It's all about the right backspace

My car is lowered quit a bit with larger wheels/tires and I don't have that issue

What size tires and are you running spacers up front? If so, what size? Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,870 Posts
What size tires and are you running spacers up front? If so, what size? Thank you

the pic shows 17x8 05+Bullitts using a 1.5" wheel adapter making for 4.75ish backspacing which is considered ideal. The tires are 225/45/17(got them free) but I have room for more 235/45/17 for sure maybe 255/40/17 even
the three basics are
15x7x4.25
16x8x4.50
17x8x4.75
of course these cars being built in the millions had pretty loose production tolerances and after 50 years of who knows what, other thing such as alignment specs can make a difference as well

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thank you. I currently have 235/55/17 on the same wheel with 1.5” adapters. No rub in the rear so I may keep that size but go narrower up front. Thanks for the info.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts