Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I bought a 1968 Mustang with and was told it had a 200ci Inline 6 with an original Autolite 1100 1 barrel carb, I wanted to get into the restoration/driving a classic hobby. The car ran well except, it had horrible gas mileage, under 10 mpg. At first I was told my accelerator pump was broken, than the idle crank on the carburetor, then various other things, I decided to just take the carburetor off of the engine to see what could be the problem and aside from the piece on the carburetor being broken. Well wouldn't you know it, the carburetor was jimmy rigged to give just enough space between the carburetor and mount on the block, it had scrap pieces of iron holding it up. Now that it is all fixed, I bought a carburetor spacer that fits the carb, but the carb doesn't even fit the block, I am so confused here as to what I should do, I took pictures of everything I could before it got dark, the carburetor spacer is specifically for an inline 6 200ci ford engine too and that doesn't fit the engine. Why would the Autolite 1100 not fit the engine block? I know I'm a rookie at this and cars in general but it doesn't make sense. Maybe I'm not clear to describing what my problem is (hopefully the pictures will help show my problem, many of the pictures might be useless), but I am a rookie and clearly unaware of the predicament I am in. Any advice or insight is definitely appreciated!

Carburetor Spacer:

Engine (with carb off):

Where the carburetor mounts on the engine:

Misc. Numbers and other pics of the engine:

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I had a problem after I put a 70 1 bbl carb on the 67 engine. The larger carb butterfly hit the spacer. I had a custom spacer machined in order to make it work.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Everything looks right to me...what is it about the spacer that doesn't fit? It should fit on the block in the same orientation as your first two pictures...Carb studs 90-deg to the intake manifold.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Maybe you could post a pic of the carb and another of the carb sitting on the intake manifold. Might help people understand where it's not fitting.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay so I have pictures of the spacer on the engine, the carburetor fits on the spacer perfectly.. To make it easier to see I just took pictures of the spacer on the engine block because the carb fits the spacer perfectly its just so strange why the carburetor and spacer don't fit the engine..

I took this pic with the spacer off to the side a little to show that the spacer holes don't line up with the engine's holes, the engine's holes are more spaced out:

And with the spacer lined up correctly:

·
Registered
739 Posts
stupid question(from another rookie). Can you get it back together the way it was? Don't have to tighten it down and make it run. Try to piece it together and then post pics of that?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Ok, looking at the photos, I know exactly what the problem is. Your cylinder head (maybe even your entire engine) is from (or is if the whole engine) a 250CI straight six. In 1969 the 250CI straight six had an enlarged opening on the cylinder head, the carb spacer, and the carb. Here is an adapter to use the smaller carb on the larger intake-- Classic Inlines Performance Parts - Product Detail The description says it's for mounting the Vaporizer, but the vaporizer is the exact same as the autolite 1100, just they fiddled with the internals.

In other words, the owner lied to you, the engine IS NOT all original, the 250 wasn't available till 1969, and the casting number on your intake is C9--. What are the casting numbers on the side of the engine. They will be next to the exhaust.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, let me ask this... What are the casting numbers on the cylinder head? More specifically, the date? In 1969 with the introduction of the 250CI straight six they enlarged the opening on the cylinder head, the carb spacer, and the carb. Here is an adapter to use the smaller carb on the larger intake-- Classic Inlines Performance Parts - Product Detail The description says it's for mounting the Vaporizer, but the vaporizer is the exact same as the autolite 1100, just they fiddled with the internals.
Not sure on the cylinder head, too dark to tell now, is it included in the original pictures? I posted a lot of numbers, might I have a 250ci or just the 250ci manifold? How do I tell?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
And will that adapter work on a Holley 1460? I bought a brand new one because of all the problems I was having with my Autolite 1100

·
Registered
194 Posts
Sorry, I edited my post, I saw your casting number in one of the photos. Take a look at my edited post. I don't know if it will work with the holley, but if you use the new autolite you have with that adapter everything should be fine.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, it is too dark to take the picture now, but if it turns out the engine is a 200ci, why would someone put a 250ci cylinder head on it? In one of the pictures it says: CSDE 6015-8 on the side of the engine. Is that what you are looking for?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I don't know, it may be that the whole engine is a 250, which means that at some point in that car's life the old engine died so they just found a quick replacement. Otherwise I don't know if there are any benefits to fitting a 250 cylinder head.

·
Registered
194 Posts
It's C5DE, which is an engine block date coded 1965 for a Falcon (that casting number was used in both the Mustang and the Falcon, Ford didn't spend the money to make new molds with Mustang cast numbers). So it is possible for that to be the original block (slim, but not a lot of 6 cylinder cars were sold compared to V8s, so they probably had extra blocks lying around the factory). But there is no way that engine is original.

·
Registered
194 Posts
It's definately a 200 (at least the block is). The 250 will have C9-- as the first 2 digits of the casting number on the side of the engine block. It may be that the car cracked the head sometime in its life or they replaced the head because the mounting flanges for the exhaust manifold cracked or broke off (mine has 2 broken flanges on the head).

·
Registered
194 Posts
No problem, just goes to show, it's always the little things with these cars... In this case, a few unsuspecting numbers on the engine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts