Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before i start building a 5.0 liter from scratch i thought it a good idea to have a bit of experience with one. So i went to the auto auction looking for a 5.0 HO. I Found an 89 lincoln Mark VII but eiher fortunatly or unfortunatly had a dead battery so i wasn't ablt to give it a going over. I waited till the auction people started the car, it cranked up instantly and when the guy went to pull it in the auction it spun the tire. So i went inside and won the car at $600 which was my top price. Tomorrow i'll try to drive it home, wish me luck.

I would have prefered a mustang with the 5.0 HO but the lincoln has a lot a silly options that may be fun on a resto-mod. The biggest downside on the lincoln over the mustang is that it usses a idle air rather than a MASS air sensor.

Buying a car at auction is a bit scary but also exciting. It all moves so fast. They were going slow tonight and only auctioning off 2 cars a minute.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
No, an 89 5.0HO should be the best candidate, mustang or lincoln. 89 IS mass air, 88 and below were speed density except for 88 CA cars which had mass air first. Unless it's not a 89 .. but either way. It should have E7TE "truck" heads, the best "stock" late model head candidates for a street engine. But if you're planning to do much with it, intake, cam, high compression, etc. it would be wise to port those or invest in larger valved heads. Hmm, the Lincoln did have some extra features such as air bag suspension but nothing that should effect a complete rebuild like you said. I mean, it uses the same EEC-IV computer, but that's only a deal if you're going EFI anyways. The HO's have a different firing order, that of the 351W, so be aware of that .. and I believe the Lincoln used a slightly smaller duration camshaft, but you'd probably replace it anyways? Those are stock forged pistons in there, pumping 9.2:1 compression on stock E7TE heads. If you need to bore it, I'd advise hypereutectic pistons with moly rings to save some weight and rev faster, unless you plan on revving it to 7000. Using earlier 302 heads with angle cut cylinder walls instead of completely rounded will give you higher compression, about 10:1 .. still streetable on pump gas. Hmm what else, you're getting a 50 oz balance engine so plan on redong the complete balancing assembly, flywheel, crankshaft, balancer/damper, rods, pistons and also plan on changing to serpentine belts. That's all I can think of, good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Administrator
19,319 Posts
One extra bonus is you can sell off the lower A-frames to Fox body guys. They are the same as the SVO. Likewise the rear disk setup. Not usable on the vintage cars as far as I know, but a nice way to recover some of your purchase price.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no problem john, i'm probably going again next thursday. My cousin is still looking to buy a car there so i better take her otherwise i'll bet she'll be driving a lincoln mark VII.

·
Administrator
19,319 Posts
Hot damn! Learn something new every day! I know where a complete and loaded MkVII rear end is. I've been eyeballing it for a month or more. All I've been thinking is "NO-NO, Swmbo does not need or even want rear disks on her Fox Mustang". OL GypsyR might want some for his 67 though. First thing in the AM, I'll be on that Lincoln like flies on..um...a Daihatsu.
Thanks for the info!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts